trans issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > trans issues

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

trans issues

I have an 04 liberty limited...it is stuck in "sneaker mode"
I bought the jeep with a rebuilt transmission he said he had it rebuilt because of this issue, when I test drove it everything was fine..
These codes are from when it would sometimes shift passed second
Day #1 codes:
P0700 transmission controller fault
P0734 gear ratio error in fourth
P0846 2-4 pressure switch sense circuit
P1776 solonoid switch valve stuck in LR
P0731 gear ratio error in first
P0733 gear ratio error in third
P1790 fault immediatly after a shift

I cleaned off almost every electrical connection on top and I even pulled the input/output sensor on the side of the trans...
Now that it is stuck in second these are the codes

Codes are now:
P0700
P0731
P1790
P0841 L/R pressure switch sense circuit

Has anyone ever came accross this or know of anything I can do (test connections, etc.)
Thanks

Stevusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
rexstpierre

Check the oil, if its dark instead of red than your transmission has heated and the oil is burn.
If that's the case, its not a cheap and or easy fix.
You'll need a new tranny...sorry

I had these codes in my jeep three weeks ago.

I drove the thing for 45 mins and it would drop down to second gear and stay there till I let the jeep sit for a few hours.
I looked it up all over the net and decided to take out and clean my speed sensor switches. It didn't change anything.
I brought to a good friend of mine who owns a tranny garage. He found me a used tranny for 400$ and we installed together it for 340$.
rexstpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

Did u ever look at the internals of the old one?
I'm going to get in touch with the tranny place...I just wanted to see if it vould be sn electrical issue or mechanical
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Those gear ratio codes point to bad clutch packs - which in these transmissions means a new or rebuilt tranny.

If it was rebuilt before, they either did a terrible job, used the wrong trans fluid (ATF+4 ONLY!) or the previous owner lied about the trans being rebuilt at all. Take it to a good trans shop for diagnosis.

Swapping in a used one isn't that difficult if you have the space and a friend helping you. A good but not massive tool assortment including several long ratchet extensions, a floor jack and about 12 qts of ATF+4 and you're ready to go.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

I have the receipts for the rebuild but he might have just had them write one up...it has a 1 yr. Warranty on it I'll bring it back and make sure they did it and do it right this time
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
rexstpierre

My buddy owns the tranny shop, it would have cost much more in time to take the old one apart. Instead we just put in a used one that had nice red tranny fluid that had not heated.
And yes, the swap isn't that bad, you take the tranny bracket off, take for driveshafts off, take the transfer case off, take the tranny off with a long extensions and put the other one on.
rexstpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

The junk yards by me don't have any libertys...what other jeeps can I pull one from?
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevusprime
The junk yards by me don't have any libertys...what other jeeps can I pull one from?
Do a search on car-parts.com. When you search have it look for "interchange" parts which will match up trannies from other Chrysler vehicles that will work in your Liberty. If you search for an exact match it's going to look for a Liberty that matches yours which will greatly narrow the search results.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.