Trailer Wiring - Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Trailer Wiring - Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Threejeeps

Trailer Wiring - Problem

I had my 2004 Liberty wired to tow behind our RV about a year ago. This weekend I bolted on the MOPAR hitch and plugged in the module for the trailer hitch wiring. On the trailer - the brake lights, turn signals and four-ways all work, but running lights (when headlights are on) do not work.

My guess at the moment is when they wired my Liberty to be towed behind the RV they snipped or disconnected wiring somewhere (perhaps behind the tail light lenses). I am hoping there is an easier answer out there.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks.

'89 Wrangler 4.2L Straight 6
Middletown, NJ
Threejeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
chadlyt
2006 KJ Liberty 

I guess you didnt have the add-a-bulb on the libby done then and they were wired direct? either case, they may have snipped the yellow (i think?) wire or just plain disconnected it.
chadlyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Threejeeps

Thanks, although I am not sure I completely understand. When they wired the Liberty to tow behind the RV - they added several diodes behind one of the rear tail lights. I was going check that next. Is that where the "yellow" wire you talk about may be located? What's an "add a bulb?" The tow hitch wiring harness is a plug and go set up - no splicing involved. It plug into the rear wiring harness behind the right rear interior trim panel.

Really, appreciate the ideas.
Middletown, NJ
Unread 07-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
chadlyt
2006 KJ Liberty 

I used a Blue Ox add-a-bulb kit. Meaning, you do not use any of the Jeeps internal wiring, you add your own from the front of the jeep to the rear where you add a bulb in the tail light housing.

There have been many reports of problems with diode wiring in jeeps, hence the add-a-bulb solution.

I'll be back later with hopefully a few more answers for you.
chadlyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Threejeeps

I am with you now on the "add a bulb" approach. As you can tell, the folks at Camping World use the interior wiring for my Jeep. ANY additional information would be helpful. It seems so damn odd that I have all but the running lights on the trailer. Much thanks!
Middletown, NJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.