Trailer Wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Trailer Wiring help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Dustin07
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer Wiring help

we will likely be using our 02 Liberty as our Jet Ski hauler and I need to connect a trailer harness... but I have never done this before so I'm not sure where to start. I found a few different kinds on line

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/liberty...P2325C524.aspx

but really I have no idea what I'm doing, LOL. can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this something I could pick up at Napa, or do I need to hit the dealership?

Unread 08-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
eric e

I have a dodge truck and used this kind of wire harness
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...QQcmdZViewItem
It only takes about 3mins to hook up you just locate the wires running to the tail lights on the right and left side and you will see a plug remove the plug and plug the t plug in the middle and done
I bought the same plug at walmart for about 25.00

eric e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Dustin07
1989 YJ Wrangler 

awesome. I guess I'll have to hit wally's world and see what I can see. thanks for the tip.
Unread 08-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
JoBo

Everything you ever wanted to know
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1691
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
pookie

I did it this weekend. Get the wiring harness specifically for the Liberty. Makes a world of difference, loosen both tail lights, plug the new harness in run the wires and you are done. After I found the harness at a price I liked it was in in about 20-30 minutes. I shopped around these are the prices I got in my area:

Stealership = $93 (same day)
Advance = $53 (next day not in stock)
Autozone = didn't even have it
NAPA = $104
Local mom and pop RV place = $43 in stock.

Had I called around and not drove around I would have had it and been done in the time it took me to hit two places. Plug and play is awesome. Hooked it up and was towing within the hour. I have a M416 Jeep trailer that I tow behind the KJ. Towed like a champ no problems.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
TrailHntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07
we will likely be using our 02 Liberty as our Jet Ski hauler and I need to connect a trailer harness... but I have never done this before so I'm not sure where to start. I found a few different kinds on line

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/liberty...P2325C524.aspx

but really I have no idea what I'm doing, LOL. can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this something I could pick up at Napa, or do I need to hit the dealership?
I have this harness on my 06

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~11838...cleid=20022402

works like a charm. Completely plug-n-play aside from drilling 1 hole for the ground wire.
TrailHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Donkeykong

Just be careful not to break the little metal pieces that are moulded into the plastic when you go to *pop* the tail light out. if you break them off it looks to me like you would end up having to have to replace the light...

I was able to stub the wiring thru to my bumper cover and mount it accordingly.

Also, tractor supply has some slick kits that allow you to mount a little bracket and keep all the wiring vehicle side hidden. I don't know if I'm allowed to post pics, but If I am allowed to I will snap some, host and post them for your viewing pleasure.
-Mark
Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.