Trailer brake wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Trailer brake wiring

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
CM CRD

Trailer brake wiring

I have a 06 CRD and it didn't come with the trailer hitch. I installed a class III hitch and now I'm working on the wiring. I chose to go with all aftermarket components for this project. I bought a T-One connector which will take care of my basic trailer light wiring. That's about a 20 minute job. Now I have to run a #10 red, #10 white and #12 blue up to the front of the vehicle to interface with my brake controller and battery. From what I've gathered from reading up on several forums there is no factory wiring installed for in my Jeep. I don't have the EVIC module (for some reason if you do then you have the trailer wiring from the factory). Does anyone know if the 30amp trailer tow fuse under the hood goes anywhere? I plan to use that fuse but I don't want to tear into the fuse panel if there is already a wire coming off it that I can use. Also, is that fuse meant to be used for the brake controller or for the 12V aux power. I know how to wire brake controllers and trailers, I just want to do it the right way and the easiest way.

Thanks

CM CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM CRD
I have a 06 CRD and it didn't come with the trailer hitch. I installed a class III hitch and now I'm working on the wiring. I chose to go with all aftermarket components for this project. I bought a T-One connector which will take care of my basic trailer light wiring. That's about a 20 minute job. Now I have to run a #10 red, #10 white and #12 blue up to the front of the vehicle to interface with my brake controller and battery. From what I've gathered from reading up on several forums there is no factory wiring installed for in my Jeep. I don't have the EVIC module (for some reason if you do then you have the trailer wiring from the factory). Does anyone know if the 30amp trailer tow fuse under the hood goes anywhere? I plan to use that fuse but I don't want to tear into the fuse panel if there is already a wire coming off it that I can use. Also, is that fuse meant to be used for the brake controller or for the 12V aux power. I know how to wire brake controllers and trailers, I just want to do it the right way and the easiest way.

Thanks

I have read that there is a wire behind the drivers side kick panel that has a tab on it marked trailer brakes.
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
CM CRD

It's wierd that there is no mention of any wires for tralier brakes in the manual. I'll take a look under that panel anyway.

thanks
Unread 09-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM CRD
It's wierd that there is no mention of any wires for tralier brakes in the manual. I'll take a look under that panel anyway.

thanks

You might try doing a search for the wire in this forum's search tab. I think it was on here a while back where a guy had pictures of it. It was behind a couple clusters of wires, by itself, and I believe it was blue or maybe purple, but it had a piece of tape on it and it was clearly marked.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Amarony

Answer should be in here

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1691

2005 Dark Khaki Renegade
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/855554]Pics of My Jeep[/URL]
Amarony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
CM CRD

Looks like I have to run some wires. Not a problem, just wanted to make sure before I started. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.