Towing capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Towing capacity

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Komodo

Towing capacity

The specification on my Jeep liberty 2005 says that I can tow 5000 pounds. Does this include then cargo in the trunk of my jeep?

Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

5000lbs with a towing package. If you don't have the towing package than its 2000lbs I believe.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
USPLiberty

I think that the listed cargo capacity is 400lbs, so it means that you can tow something that is up to 5000 pounds with another 400 max inside the car. You jeep will be really slow with that much weight.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Bmach

People do not think that a Liberty can tow much but they are wrong, IMO. I have towed a HTT weighting 3560# and I would get anywhere from 11.5 to 15.2 mpg with it. I would drive at at around 63mph and slow to around 50 mph on some hills.
Bmach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
The specification on my Jeep liberty 2005 says that I can tow 5000 pounds. Does this include then cargo in the trunk of my jeep?
I don't recall the exact number but in your owner's manual will be the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating number which includes the total weight of the trailer plus the weight of the Jeep including cargo. We are not to exceed that GCVWR number.

That said, the KJ is a very capable tow vehicle when properly equipped. The challenge isn't getting the trailer and the KJ moving - the issue is stopping the rig. If you're towing more than 2500lbs or so you should have trailer brakes and and a brake controller - which means you should have the 7-pin round connector.

"It ain't the going but the slowing when towing..."

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Komodo

This is the specs of my Jeep. (3.7-Liter Engine Automatic)

3.7-Liter Engine - Automatic

Axle Ratio (lbs.) 3.73
GVWR (lbs.) 5600
GCWR (lbs.) 5600
42RLE 7400
Multi-speed auto 10,100(b)
GAWR Front/Rear (lbs.) 2750/3150
Curb Weight, est.(a) (lbs.) 4115
Max. Tongue Weight(b) (lbs.) 750
Max. Trailer Weight(b) (lbs.) 5000 (with the towing package)
Max. Payload(c) (lbs.) 1150
Max. Cargo(d) (lbs.) 400

My trailer has a braking system that is connected to my Jeep brakes. Whenever I brake, the trailers brakes are also applied.

The trailer weighs 3950 pounds.
Komodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Bmach

My combined was10,100 that was for a 2008.
Bmach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.