Tow Hook Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tow Hook Installation

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
jeepjeepster

I put the tow hooks on my libby on christmas day and it took about an hour without taking the bumper off. I see what keoki04 talking about, I could only turn it about a half a turn everytime. Some ratcheting wrenches would of been nice.

jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
jeepjeepster

Uhh, why is my post up top?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Liberty&Freedom
2003 KJ Liberty 

Tow Hook Installation

Does anyone have front tow hook installation information / experience. It is looking like I will have to remove some plastic from the front to get access to bolt them on. Any suggestions???
Liberty&Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Liberty&Freedom
2003 KJ Liberty 

I will have to look again, but I'm fairly sure I couldn't even get the hook in place without removing at least some piece(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoki04
I would recommend taking the bumper off like the instructions said.
I bought my hooks second hand, with no instructions. Where did you find instructions?? Can they be downloaded somewhere?

'03 Freedom Edition, 3.7, 4x4, Fog Lights, 17" wheels
Liberty&Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
keoki04
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I had my liberty I did not remove the plastic front bumper. Let me tell you it was a pain in the butt!!!! If I had air tools it would have helped, but I could only turn the wrench very litte each time. This caused it to take forever to install them. I would recommend taking the bumper off like the instructions said. The angle and the little bit of space you have with the bumper on, makes it very difficult. Good luck!!!!

BTW, my liberty was a 2003 sport with no fog lights if that helps!
Other mods to come...

My crazy dog!

Clicky You've gotta love days like this at work! Yes, I threw it...Clicky
keoki04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
keoki04
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty&Freedom
I bought my hooks second hand, with no instructions. Where did you find instructions?? Can they be downloaded somewhere?
Have you tried to google it? Maybe the dealer would be kind enough to make a photo copy of them for you if you ask. Or maybe fax them to you. I bought mine right from the dealer (a friend gets me her discount). I will try to look later tonight if I have time on the web for you. I think some models had a cover in the bumper in that spot where the hooks go. Maybe I am wrong, it has been about 2 years since I sold my KJ... Good luck!
Other mods to come...

My crazy dog!

Clicky You've gotta love days like this at work! Yes, I threw it...Clicky
keoki04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
NewBinCO

I just installed the factory tow hooks last week on our new Liberty. I still have the instructions. If you need a copy, I can scan it in and send you a copy.

It's not hard, one speed click on each side, and you install three bolts. I didn't take the bumper cover off. Of couse the instructions really didn't show how to do it. Since I have the 65th Anniversay Edition Liberty with the "Limited" front bumper. Slightly different then the plain Sport.

The biggest trip was figuring how to get my hand up and into the small space to get the bolts stated.

If you need the instructions, just let me know.
NewBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Tom_with_a_Drea

Don't you have to remove the nothced part of the bumper? I saw a Libby with tow hooks (Renegade I guess) and the bumper was missing the notched area mine has.

On a related, but different, note, I will be installing lights under my bumper right where the tow hooks go (hoping to find an easy mount point for the light too) and was intending on Dremmeling out that notch. The bumper is only plastic, should cut easily.

Or maybe this notch in only on the '05 and'06 models...
Warranty:
EGR (2), TC & Pump, EGR FCV
After-market:
Guages (5), PIAA duals, Hitch & side lights,
AeroTurbine, Fumoto, 3.7L Airbox, Revos, Steps,
Cargo Tray, Hitch Rack, Bike Rails, & Slush Mats
Tom_with_a_Drea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
NewBinCO

I thought so to, but NO you do not have to cut out that notched part of the bumper. With the tow hooks installed, there is enough room between the hook and the bumper cover to place a tow strap.

I guess it would be possible to damage that part of the bumper cover if you had a high angle on the tow strap. But, at that angle, it is likely the tow strap would slide off the hook. So, I'm happy with leaving that notched part of the bumper in place at the moment.

My suggestion would be to install the hooks with the bumper cover as it is. And see how it looks and if you like that look. If you are concerned about the space around the hooks, you can take a coping saw and cut that notched area out.
NewBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.