Torx bit size to remove tie downs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Torx bit size to remove tie downs

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
garyblais

Torx bit size to remove tie downs

I need to replace/remove the carpet in the cargo area (spilled pesticides) and the dealer told me to use Torx bits which I had already tried on the tie downs which hold the carpet down. A T10 fits in the nut but won't turn it and a T15 is too big. There are no bit sizes between T10 and T15, at least not to my knowledge. Answers.com says there are some variants like Torx PLus and Torx TR which may be the problem but I can't be sure. Short of going to the dealer and putting up with that hassle just to loosen a few nuts, I wanted to give you folks a chance to weigh in. Anybody know how to loosen these bad boys?

garyblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyblais
I need to replace/remove the carpet in the cargo area (spilled pesticides) and the dealer told me to use Torx bits which I had already tried on the tie downs which hold the carpet down. A T10 fits in the nut but won't turn it and a T15 is too big. There are no bit sizes between T10 and T15, at least not to my knowledge. Answers.com says there are some variants like Torx PLus and Torx TR which may be the problem but I can't be sure. Short of going to the dealer and putting up with that hassle just to loosen a few nuts, I wanted to give you folks a chance to weigh in. Anybody know how to loosen these bad boys?

When I used to ride hogs, I had a thing that would torque down a screw big time. You would put the bit in, then turn it slightly when you struck it with a hammer. The same thing only in reverse to loosen it. Man it really got the screws of the case on tight. More than just with a screw driver alone. Maybe try to get your hands one one of these tools.
Unread 06-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
When I used to ride hogs, I had a thing that would torque down a screw big time. You would put the bit in, then turn it slightly when you struck it with a hammer. The same thing only in reverse to loosen it. Man it really got the screws of the case on tight. More than just with a screw driver alone. Maybe try to get your hands one one of these tools.
Yeah it's called a torque driver, thedy do work really good.
Sorry I have not had to remove the rear carpet in a KJ yet and all I have at work so far is mini vans loaded up with recalls. If I do get a KJ in I'll find out what torx bit fits for you.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Tom_with_a_Drea

I have my torx (I bought to install my cargo organizer) in the Jeep. Will post the size after lunch.

I don't recall them bolts being too terribly tight.
Warranty:
EGR (2), TC & Pump, EGR FCV
After-market:
Guages (5), PIAA duals, Hitch & side lights,
AeroTurbine, Fumoto, 3.7L Airbox, Revos, Steps,
Cargo Tray, Hitch Rack, Bike Rails, & Slush Mats
Tom_with_a_Drea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Tom_with_a_Drea

Sorry I abandoned you, I forgot.

The bolts were a T30 torx. Hope that helps.
Warranty:
After-market:
Unread 07-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
corwyyn
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I need to replace/remove the carpet in the cargo area (spilled pesticides) and the dealer told me to use Torx bits which I had already tried on the tie downs which hold the carpet down.
No torx bits, they are riveted in place. I pulled the carpet on mine a while back to try and take care of some RFI on my ham radio and thought they were torx. Just drill them out and replace them when you are done.
corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Tom_with_a_Drea

I might have been premature in my post, or I might have mis-read.

The T30 torx are for the two tie-downs in the rear cargo area, used to mount the organizer. If there are additional carpet tie-downs then my info is irrelevant. Sorry.
Warranty:
After-market:
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:35 AM   #8
garyblais

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyyn
No torx bits, they are riveted in place. I pulled the carpet on mine a while back to try and take care of some RFI on my ham radio and thought they were torx. Just drill them out and replace them when you are done.
Please explain the "drilling out" part. I'm not mechanically inclined.
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #9
garyblais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_with_a_Drea
I might have been premature in my post, or I might have mis-read.

The T30 torx are for the two tie-downs in the rear cargo area, used to mount the organizer. If there are additional carpet tie-downs then my info is irrelevant. Sorry.
Well if they are Torx fasteners they aren't regular Torx fasteners. I tried a T10 and it fit in the nut but wouldn't turn it so a T30 would definitely not fit. There's a new Torx bit called Torx Plus (http://www.answers.com/torx which has a different interior design. It might be this I'm dealing with or a rivet as corwyyn maintains.
Unread 07-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #10
corwyyn
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Please explain the "drilling out" part. I'm not mechanically inclined.
If I read you correctly you are talking about the two metal plates in the rear corners of the cargo area - they have a depression with a crossbar that you can use for a bungee cord or whatever and they sit right on the carpet. The two round screw-looking things that hold them down should be rivets. To make sure they are rivets (before you start drilling), lie down under the rear end and shine a flashlight up at the area where the plates mount. You should see what look like short metal tubes sticking down - these are the backsides of the rivets. To remove rivets simply get a drill bit slightly larger than the opening in the top (where you would put a torx bit if it was one of those screws) and drill down thru the rivet; if I remember correctly I used a 3/32" bit. The rivets are aluminum, so just go slow and steady. Once done the plates should come right up. To re-install you'll need a rivet gun and replacement rivets. These can be had at any decent hardware/home improvment store.
corwyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
garyblais

Thanks!

I'll try it today, the smell is driving me nuts.
Unread 06-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
chrispitude

Did you ever figure out how to remove these tie-downs? We just broke a bottle of wine in the back cargo area (white, thankfully) and it just baffles me that Jeep riveted these things in place to save a few cents. It's a Jeep... wouldn't you plan ahead to allow people to clean the carpets?

Edit: My buddy made a good suggestion - cut the cargo carpet around the tiedowns, then use velcro on the underside of the padding and the floorpan to keep the mat from sliding around. Has anyone tried this, or perhaps replacing the tiedown rivets with more suitable fasteners?

- Chris

Last edited by chrispitude; 06-09-2007 at 03:17 PM..
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
garyblais

SOlution

I ended up doing what your friend suggests but I didn't replace the carpet. I bought a hard rubber mat made for the Liberty. It has holes for the tie downs and has worked out well. I don't remember where I got it though but try Goggle.
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
chrispitude

Hi all,

So what's the trick to loosening the plastic trim pieces along the sides that overlap the carpet edges? I've pulled the carpet out to clean it, but it would be much easier to reinstall if I can pull the trim panels up/out to properly tuck the carpet back in. Heck, if I can move the trim panels, I might be able to clean up the mess behind there too.

- Chris
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
ajlugo

just cut around the carpet is not wort the work of riveting the cargo hooks again just cut under the edge make a clean cut men i just took on out then i notice it was not hard to take out cutting the carpet hope this help
ajlugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.