Tires for a Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tires for a Liberty?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
jsmithworks
2006 KK Liberty 

Tires for a Liberty?

Hi,
I'm looking to get some new tires for a 2006 Jeep Liberty to replace the OEM Goodyear ST tires that came with the car when I got it last year. I have a 98 Cherokee with BFG All Terrain KO size 30 x 9.5. I'd like to put the same tire on the Liberty in the 225/75R16 size. I only have really good things to say about the tires based on my experience with the Cherokee, but would like to hear from other people what they recommend for the liberty. And any experience people have with other tires. The liberty has the original wheels, and I won't be upgrading them. I'm looking for something in the On-/Off Road All-Terrain family.
Thank you for any help.
James

jsmithworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm going to be switching up my tires soon and I was looking at these because they are a mix of long tread life and somewhat aggressive looking AT tread. I want 50k+ miles on them and I should get at least that with the 640 tread-wear rating (and the reviews people have submitted).

I was also looking at the 235/70R16s for the BFG AT KOs and Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor but they're too expensive for my tastes. I don't see the benefit in spending an extra $50 a tire (for the sidewall improvements) when I won't be doing any hardcore off roading. Not that they wouldn't be great tires, but... money is money. I'd get them if I had some to burn :P
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Skip the BFG's and generals(not getting close to 50K with these),both suck.

For more of the mall crawling crowd check out the RevoII's or Destination AT's.
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Skip the BFG's and generals(not getting close to 50K with these),both suck.

For more of the mall crawling crowd check out the RevoII's or Destination AT's.
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have proof of the generals not lasting close to 50k? or do you just mean the way you drive? Tons of reviews saying they go ~80k+ so I'm a little confused...
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have proof of the generals not lasting close to 50k? or do you just mean the way you drive? Tons of reviews saying they go ~80k+ so I'm a little confused...

It may also depend on the particular tire. My General Grabber AT2's currently have 66k on them with at least a third of the tread remaining. They are noisy tires though. But you can't complain about the life of them.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxman View Post
It may also depend on the particular tire. My General Grabber AT2's currently have 66k on them with at least a third of the tread remaining. They are noisy tires though. But you can't complain about the life of them.
x7

The Generals are loud, but they destroy everything else in tread life, traction, durability, and price. Anyone who disses these tires is an idiot, or has never used them.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
supertaco

might want to look into the goodyear authority. if they make them in your size
check walmart
supertaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertaco View Post
might want to look into the goodyear authority. if they make them in your size
check walmart
I got my Generals at WalMart.
99 Harley Sportster
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
jsmithworks
2006 KK Liberty 

Quote:

From what I've read seems like the Grabber is a decent tire. Compared to the BFG AT do you think the Grabber AT2's are any louder. Maybe I'm used to it, but I don't think the BFG's are very noisy.
Thanks for all the feedback!
jsmithworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithworks View Post
From what I've read seems like the Grabber is a decent tire. Compared to the BFG AT do you think the Grabber AT2's are any louder. Maybe I'm used to it, but I don't think the BFG's are very noisy.
Thanks for all the feedback!
At first I didn't think the Generals were very noisy. But as they age the noise increases. They roar pretty good now. I have no experience with the BFG,s. So can't help there. My question is, if Chrysler can put the best battery (optima) in, why did they choose the worst tire?
99 Harley Sportster
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
My question is, if Chrysler can put the best battery (optima) in, why did they choose the worst tire?
Optima is one of the worst batteries since they have been under Johnson Controls.
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
At first I didn't think the Generals were very noisy. But as they age the noise increases. They roar pretty good now. I have no experience with the BFG,s. So can't help there. My question is, if Chrysler can put the best battery (optima) in, why did they choose the worst tire?

Good question. My first CRD had zero battery issues. This CRD has 86,000 miles and 5.5 years of use on it...and it fires the Jeep up literally as soon as I hit the key. And we've had some HARSH Winters here too. These Optima batteries are awesome.

On the other hand... the Goodyear ST tires are barely worth even making a tire swing out of for the kids. What a bunch of trash.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
pt2005
2014 WK 

The stock Goodyear tires are terrible. I switched to BFG since 50K and now 130K (yes 80K on the BFG) and the tires are still doing great. I checked with a local tire club (friend of mine works there) and they said I could go for 5 - 7K more. Will do with BFG again.
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
DanJeep07

How about snow? Are the BF AT's good in snow as well. I need a tire that can handle the weather of the north without being a "snow tire"
DanJeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
WXman
2001 WJ 

Not sure. I know my Grabber AT2s have the "Severe Snow" rating and emblem on the sidewall... I assume the BFG does too but not sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.