Tire Size Compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tire Size Compatibility

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Steven73

Tire Size Compatibility

It's finally time to replace the stock Goodyears...YAY!.....Question I have is........
My stock tire on my 2003 Jeep Liberty is Goodyear 215/75/16. All the tire sites I checked on said the stock tire for the Jeep Liberty Sport V6 should be 235/70/16. Are these two tires interchangeable? In other words can I now shop for 235/70/16 tires. This would give me a lot more choices, and I just wondered if the 235/70/16's would fit my rims and be compatible with my vehicle. Thanks for any help, cause I'm not buying Goodyears again, no matter what.

Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Fouros
2004 KJ Liberty 

mate you can go up to 245/70R16 No problems

i have fitted them on my stock 04 with no rubbing

see below

when i am lifted i will be running Goodyear MTR's 245/75 R 16 on a set of stock 16 Steel Rims

Last edited by Fouros; 08-07-2005 at 04:25 PM..
Fouros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

The newer models come stock with 225/75 (little taller and wider than yours) or the 235/70 (fairly wider, but about as tall).

Most are fitting the 245/70 (really wide and a little taller), and I think the 235/75 would work too, but this hasn't been confirmed

Here's the aforementioned sizes:

Code:
lt215/75r16	28.7 x 8.46
lt235/70r16	28.9 x 9.25
lt225/75r16	29.2 x 8.85
lt245/70r16	29.6 x 9.64
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
gundrted
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouros
mate you can go up to 245/70R16 No problems

i have fitted them on my stock 04 with no rubbing

see below

when i am lifted i will be running Goodyear MTR's 245/75 R 16 on a set of stock 16 Steel Rims
here is the pic so people dont have to go to the link
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
skrracing
skidplate tester

Tire size chart

Here is a link to a tire size chart. Hope this helps. Later...Clint

Tire Size Chart
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
wvliberty

245/70 works

Here's another vote for 245/70.

I just replaced the stock Goodyear 225/75s on my '05 Renegade with Firestone Destination A/Ts in 245/70 with no problems (so far). This size is noticeably wider and only slightly taller, but it does fill out the wheel well nicely, IMO. The more aggressive tread and squared off edge, look much more appropriate for a Jeep.

I have before and after pics that I'll try to post when I get a minute (after Camp Jeep!).

L8r.
wvliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Steven73

tire chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrracing
Here is a link to a tire size chart. Hope this helps. Later...Clint

Tire Size Chart
Good chart, Thanks Clint...it makes it real clear what you can fit without worrying about rubbing. One other question....seems to me that the wider you go on the tire, the more control you have, but you sacrifice gas mileage????? am I right?
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
gundrted
2008 JK Wrangler 

personaly i think it really depends on the tires you get but in theory you would loose mpg with more rubber on the ground.

when i had my avalanche i went from goodyears to a rather agressive dick cepek tire. they were about 2 inches wider i lost about .5 mpg. i really didnt even notice unless i did the math.

again personaly i feel if you get an AT style tire you wont notice to much of a difference. if you drop MTs on then you might kiss your mpg good bye.
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
skrracing
skidplate tester

Yea maybe

Yea I kind of have to go with Gundrated... if you are looking for mileagfe then an AT tire would be much better. MT eat mileage. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Small stock tires on alum. wheels for everyday driving and I also have a set of steel wheels with MT/Rs on them for off road. Hope that helps. l i know a few other folks do the same thing in our club. Later...Clint
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Steven73

another question

any suggestions on which all season tire would be best on ice and snow?????
Unread 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #11
PA_KJ

I would recommend the Dueler A/T Revos if you want A/T's. My friend has them on his Exploder SporTrac and they work pretty well. I personally favor the M/T's--I didn't purchase a KJ for the mpg's--but they are getting rather loud now.
PA_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
wvliberty

Here is a link to tirerack.com's ranking of A/T tires. Of course, take everything on-line with a grain of salt, but these ratings are supposedly compiled from actual product users with scores in multiple categories including snow/ice:
Tirerack A/T Rankings

Here are some pics (sorry about the quality, they were taken quickly inside) of the stock Wrangler vs. the Destination:

Goodyear Wrangler ST 225/75R16 Side Top Angle

Firestone Destination A/T 245/70R16 Side Top Angle
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:46 AM   #13
gundrted
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvliberty
Here is a link to tirerack.com's ranking of A/T tires. Of course, take everything on-line with a grain of salt, but these ratings are supposedly compiled from actual product users with scores in multiple categories including snow/ice:
Tirerack A/T Rankings

Here are some pics (sorry about the quality, they were taken quickly inside) of the stock Wrangler vs. the Destination:

Goodyear Wrangler ST 225/75R16 Side Top Angle

Firestone Destination A/T 245/70R16 Side Top Angle

i have the wangler st on my crd and i cant wait to get rid of them. i would not tell even my worst enemy to get those tires i only have 6500 miles on the tires and they are coming off before the snow flies in CO (most of the time September).

they might be good tires but jeep really made a mistake putting them on the crd. went it rains (not very often in co) i have to use full-time 4x4 to keep the wheels from breaking loose. no i dont have a heavy foot ... the motor just puts out way to much torque for the tires. the last spring storm we got (back in march) i almost got stuck in 2-3in of snow going up hill. as soon as i hit 18-1900 rpm the back tires went spinning ...... lol. it was kind of funny. even in part-time 4x4 i was sliding all over the road with all 4 wheels spinning.
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
wvliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundrted
i have the wangler st on my crd and i cant wait to get rid of them. i would not tell even my worst enemy to get those tires i only have 6500 miles on the tires and they are coming off before the snow flies in CO (most of the time September).

they might be good tires but jeep really made a mistake putting them on the crd. went it rains (not very often in co) i have to use full-time 4x4 to keep the wheels from breaking loose. no i dont have a heavy foot ... the motor just puts out way to much torque for the tires. the last spring storm we got (back in march) i almost got stuck in 2-3in of snow going up hill. as soon as i hit 18-1900 rpm the back tires went spinning ...... lol. it was kind of funny. even in part-time 4x4 i was sliding all over the road with all 4 wheels spinning.

I included pics of the stock tires in reference to my previous post of switching to Destinations so folks can see the difference, but I didn't mean to imply that they were recommended. I have read a lot of negative impressions about the STs, but since I didn't leave them on long, I never had a bad experience to report. I swapped all the Wrangler STs (including the spare) for the Destinations at 1900 miles. However, the ranking and scores for the all-terrain Wrangler AT/S and the all season ST on Tirerack are absolutely pitiful for a name brand tire.

I switched to the Destinations for a more aggressive and wider all-terrain tire.

After that glowing review, anybody interested in a set of 5 Wrangler STs?

Last edited by wvliberty; 08-09-2005 at 08:25 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.