Tire pressure sensor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Tire pressure sensor

Hi,
Does anyone know if the tire pressure sensor can be recallibrated or how exactly they work? I was told by one dealership that they cover a range of pressure (if memory serves something like 27 to 40 lbs) and when the tire goes above or below that range the lights will come on. I drive 10 ply tires so I would like to run more than 35 lbs of pressure.

The dealership I bought from took air out, reset the sensor and looked at me like I was crazy when I said they are 10 ply tires and I want that much air in them. They wrote on the bill that the customer was running too much air in the tires and how they fixed it for me. I usually run btw 40 and 45 in them, not a huge amount over. It just kinda aggravated me the way they acted. lol I asked another dealership's service manager and he thought that was also how they worked. So was just curious because I assume most Jeep drivers get rid of the 4 ply stock tires fairly soon and run a little heavier tire. Thanks.

2006 Liberty Renegade
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM
merlinTec

Hi
The tire pressure thresh hold can be adjusted by the dealer. Still think the pressure should be 33 psi no mater what tire you are using but if you want them higher it can be done.
Merlin

UK Chrysler Jeep Master Tec.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Merlin,
I appreciate your knowledge on the Libertys.

2006 Liberty Renegade
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport

post #4 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
JoBo

I run my oem goodyears at the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tires, 44 psi, and I don't get any warnings from it Have you checked the spare?

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
2006 KJ CRD Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat Limited
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
Yeah the spare is the same pressure as the others. When I was running my 10 plys at 45 in hot weather the sensor was going off. I run a little less now but not much and it hasn't went off in the 90 plus degrees here. So....since I've had allot of computer issues I sometimes wonder if everything even down to the tire sensor is screwed up. I was in the shop again today for transmission so not liking my Liberty too much this evening.

2006 Liberty Renegade
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Last edited by ruralroute01; 08-25-2007 at 01:12 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2007, 06:06 PM
LONEPINERON

Wow that high of a pressure with 10 plys? With the higher plys would think you would want to back it down, as the side walls don't flex as much. With my YJ I am running 10 ply 265X16 and can't run them much over 20lbs without not getting a full tread pattern. You might want to check that. Find a level straight piece of blacktop use some chalk and make a 2" band across the tread go forward for a few feet and see if it is contacting all across the width of the tread. Otherwise start dropping the pressure until it does. If not you are running over inflated and will wear out the center of the tread first and won't be getting full contact on the road. Hope this helps. LPR

'94 YJ 4" LIFT, 2.5LTR, 5 SP, 4.10, WARN WINCH. 265X16 TIRES AND WHEELS. '06 KJ CRD limited 4wd every option except heated seats and Mirrors.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

I'm driving Kuhmo Venture Ht 225/75/16 Light Truck Radial, the listing on the sidewall has the max load as 80 PSI. I drive about 70 miles of gravel a day and every shop I've ever had it to suggest 40 to 45 PSI. So was just going by the recommendations. I do know in the past with other tires if I don't have enough air in them they puncture easier. I am female and even though have changing a tire down to about 10 minutes...it's still not my favorite activity while on my route....especially with the heavier tires. Thanks for your response, I'll try your test to double check but I always have my mechanic friends look the tires over, ball joints, etc when it's in the shop for anything. So far they seem to be wearing fine; I have about 8000 on them right now. I try to be as proactive as I can on this stuff...I figure it's cheaper that way.

2006 Liberty Renegade
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.