Thinking of installing a shift kit in your 42rle?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Thinking of installing a shift kit in your 42rle??

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thinking of installing a shift kit in your 42rle??

Well I have some tips that will help make things easier. I initially thought I had the 45rfe, but like an idiot didn't count the pan bolts (build sheet lies). Luckily I noticed before dropping the pan to install a Transgo kit. I returned it and ended up with a Transgo Sk604. Btw, I searched and besides the picture-less how to, and a couple threads, I couldn't find much (most were JK). So in an attempt to help future installers out I have a few tips.

1) Buy 3 or 4 turkey basting pans to work with. No matter what you do, junk will be all in your first pan when you start to take apart the vb. I lined mine with shop towels. A few pans help give a place to set your cleaned parts.

2) Don't try to d**k around trying to unplug the solenoid connector from the top. The shift range plug isn't bad (without front driveshaft), but the solenoid plug is impossible. Remove the 4 torx bolts holding the solenoid housing to the v/b before you unbolt it. Once you lower the v/b the solenoid housing will hang by the wires. Then you can pull the wires thru and easily unplug it. It can be plugged in from the top, and the red lock pin slid fairly easy, so bolt the housing back on before installing the v/b.

3) The shift lever arm needs to be all the way to the rear to loosen the nut. It has to be all the way forward before pulling the arm off the shift shaft. The parking prawl rod doesn't keep you from dropping the v/b (with arm all the way to the front).

4) Before reinstalling the v/b, rotate the shift shaft all the way clockwise. Make sure the lip of the parking prawl rod is in the bracket. From searching, guys seem to not have it locked into the bracket for some reason. They try to line it up and balance it. You'll have enough to worry about.

I didn't get many pictures, but here's what i got.

Trans with v/b removed

Here's the v/b with solenoid housing removed so I could easily unplug the connector. I was getting my pans lined up and tools ready

Take your time and pay attention. I somehow managed to get a check ball in the wrong spot, so I wasted about $80 in fluids and a few more hours. As far as the accumulator pistons/springs, there are no tips besides you gotta hold your mouth just right. Whoever came up with that balancing act needs to be shot. Hope this helps some guys out who are thinking of doing it. I'm pleased with the results. The shifts are much faster and very smooth. My low rpm shudder in od is gone as well.

Unread 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for posting up this information. Does it shift any better now with the kit installed?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

To me yes. I guess it depends on mileage, condition, and fluid. I also unhooked the trans cooler return hose, started the rig, and pumped it into a bucket. It will take about 8qrts to refill the trans after dropping the v/b, and I used roughly 3 more flushing the cooler lines. I reset the pcm before the first drive, but after a few miles it got alot better. It's hard to explain the feel, but the shifts are quicker and smoother. Faster shifts without being harsh, and kick down is alot quicker as well. It's a nice improvement, but a far cry from tire barking shifts. It's more noticable at WOT, but you can tell it's there during normal driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.