Thinking Of Buy A 2002 KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Thinking Of Buy A 2002 KJ

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
bill-pat

Thinking Of Buy A 2002 KJ

What should I know before I buy one?
Any kind of special repairs these jeeps require?
What should I look out for?
Is there a sticky about their known problems that I could read?

Thanks for any input

bill-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Lafever25

I would just read over threads of people having issues... I picked up an 02' Renegade back in march, so far had to change the plugs, leaky radiator, water pump, clean throttle body, change TPS sensor, camshaft sensor, and other sensor (air) from throttle body... It's still having troubles starting up or after a fill-up... New battery, did all my research and still can't get around this starting issue... My next try is fuel system, replace fuel filter, check fuel pump, injectors, and of course the fuses...

Fuel efficiency, I get around 13-16 mix driving. It's a little better than my 07' frontier which gets 12-15mpg.
Lafever25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
bill-pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafever25 View Post
I would just read over threads of people having issues... I picked up an 02' Renegade back in march, so far had to change the plugs, leaky radiator, water pump, clean throttle body, change TPS sensor, camshaft sensor, and other sensor (air) from throttle body... It's still having troubles starting up or after a fill-up... New battery, did all my research and still can't get around this starting issue... My next try is fuel system, replace fuel filter, check fuel pump, injectors, and of course the fuses...

Fuel efficiency, I get around 13-16 mix driving. It's a little better than my 07' frontier which gets 12-15mpg.
Thanks for the info.
Did you do all that work yourself?
Is there a thread you started for help with the hard starting?

Edit: I read this about the hard starting:
Fuel pump: The engine my crank several seconds before starting due to loss of fuel pressure caused by a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. (2002)
Here is the link:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-liberty-2.htm

Last edited by bill-pat; 05-08-2012 at 03:11 PM..
bill-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

02 being it's first year of production has its ups and downs, nothing too serious just window regulators but the 02 and early 03's have the better 45RFE tranny vs. the now 42RLE. Just make sure it has been taken care of and has the proper service records and that everything functions correctly like try rolling the windows up and down to see if there is problems with a regulator.

Here's a decent overview and review of the 02 Libby:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...2002/index.asp

And if I remember correctly the NV242 is the better, full-time transfer case over the NV231 part-time t-case.

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The 2nd year run of '02 KJ's(built from oct '01-sep '02) are the best KJ's made.The least amount of issues reported.

Oh and the 231 t-case is stronger then the 242 t-case.The planets need to be aligned and all that for the 242 to shift correctly with higher miles.
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Oh and the 231 t-case is stronger then the 242 t-case.The planets need to be aligned and all that for the 242 to shift correctly with higher miles.
The 242 is still good though. I use the 4-full time all the time in the winter when the roads have drifting snow and bare spots......and 4 part time and 4 lo off road. It has had a lot of use. No problems. I change the fluid once in a while when the planets are aligned though.....
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Justonefix
2002 KJ Liberty 

My wife's 02 Liberty Limited

I gotta warn you I don't care for these things at all. My wife's was a pretty good car until around 100,000 and now it's falling apart faster than we can fix it. Speed sensor went so we had no speedometer. Seatbelts no longer latch or won't unlatch. Rear cv joint on front axl failed, 890.00 to fix. Now the Power Control Modul refuses to display codes and except for stating it can't find the motor. I've read the PCM can run around 1,000.00 and must be done at the dealership so they can program it. Of couse now that so many Jeep dealerships have closed (including the one that where my wife bought this thing) there's not one anywhere close to where we live. So if I had a choice between another Liberty and a bicycle, I'd buy a helmet.
Justonefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm pushing 130,000 on mine and I beat the crap out of it some times.. ok.. most of the time..

But so far my biggest issue has been the radiator. It cracked once after a small accident, I replaced with aftermarket (biggest mistake as they suck). But other than that, it runs and drives great

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.