Is there a lug nut key somewhere in the vehicle on an '02? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Is there a lug nut key somewhere in the vehicle on an '02?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Jeepguy4276

Is there a lug nut key somewhere in the vehicle on an '02?

I'm guessing it's long gone but I don't know if there was a specific place they were kept. I thought I'd check before I go buy one. Locking lug nuts are great, as long as you have the key. Lol

Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

It should have been placed in the glovebox in a little plastic bag with the paperwork to order another key.The bag would have had red lettering stating "do not throw away".
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Jeepguy4276

Ok. I'm sure the previous owners felt that label was only a suggestion. It's gone.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you go to your local Jeep dealer ... they sometimes have loose keys. Even the Mopar lugs/keys that look nearly identical can be different... so there are many different (but very similar) key types.

That's how I got mine. They let me take a hand full out to the Jeep and I found a match. Much cheaper than buying a new set.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

I bought some from Gorilla a while back and have debated over whether to buy a spare key ever since. A lot of people mentioned that you can often hammer a cheap socket over the nut and at least take the thing off. The set of five Gorilla nuts (I know... ) I bought cost twenty bucks, though if they are ALL like that you'd go through an awful lot of cheap sockets to replace the set.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Jeepguy4276

Are the keys (lug nuts) dealer only if original or can one be bought at a parts store?
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

I probably should have been clearer in my post, since it occurs to me that we may be talking about two different things.

The things I bought look like this:

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-locks

The nubs on the side are all spaced differently, meaning that the socket adapter you need to remove them is made differently for each set. That is the kind I was referring to when I mentioned "you can often hammer a cheap socket over the nut and at least take the thing off".

Then there are the kind where you use an actual key like a house key to take the lock off and get at the "real" lug nut underneath it. Among other things, I am a certified locksmith and feel that those would not be very hard to pick. The trouble is, most locksmiths will charge you fifty bucks just to look at them.

Can you take a picture (or find a picture of something similar on the Internet) of what you actually have on the Jeep? Also, are ALL of the wheels like that, or just one lug nut on each wheel? I just put mine on the spare since I have stock wheels and didn't expect anyone to go to the trouble of jacking up the car to take any of the others.

(I did have a neighbor years ago with a nice sports car and VERY expensive custom rims. One day I came out to see all four wheels gone and his car sitting on cinder blocks where thieves had ripped him off in the middle of the night.)
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Jeepguy4276

Nope those aren't the kind on mine. Mine are pretty much round with an indentation on the top of the nut that kind of looks like a 4leaf clover. There are no edges on the side that a socket would even grip. I'll take a pic later to show them. It's weird too because just the little indentation on the top that the keyed lug socket would go in is not very deep. I would imagine they would strip out pretty easily. When I get them off I will replace them with something else.
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

If you have no intention of reusing them and all you want to do is remove them, could you just get a pipe wrench around them?

I'll be looking for the pictures.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Jeepguy4276

I guess I'll have to take a new pic, resize it, and post tomorrow. The one I took on my iPhone is to big for the forum limitations I guess.
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

What you are describing sounds like a standard Mopar (or any car company for that matter) wheel lock set. There are a couple different kinds but if you go to the dealer they will have plenty of keys for you to try and make sure it fits to get them off. You could also purchase a full new set if you want. Personally I'd recommend gorilla lug nuts like in a previous post if you plan to get a new set. I think I got my whole set of gorilla from summit racing for like $40.

Plus it couldn't hurt to call ahead
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you decide on not trying to keep the locking lug nuts, most wrecking yards and a lot of tire stores have several different size locking lug nut remover sockets.

When I drove my CRD back home from NH, and going through the rig with a fine tooth comb, only to find no wheel key. That is the route I went with. A couple of seconds with an impact and wheel locking nut removal socket - problem solved & never looked back.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.