Takes a long time to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Takes a long time to start

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

Takes a long time to start

My wife drives an '04 3.7L KJ and is having issues getting it started in the mornings or after letting it sit for a while. I tried to start it this morning when it was 32 degrees outside to see what the deal was. It cranks then turns over normally and the idle will go to over 1K rpm then drops and cuts out. If I kept my foot on the gas and kept idle over 1K it continued to run unless I decided to take my foot off the gas. It will only remain running with my foot off the gas once the engine temp got to half way. We had to replace the battery the other day and that's the only change that's been made recently. I was wondering if the IAC may be acting up. If so, how do I check it before coughing up cash for a new one. I also wondered about the TPS. I'm not a big fan of her KJ. I've always driven the XJ and they were easy to work on. Hers is a pain because everything is so tightly packed in and not easily accessible. Let me know what y'all think.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
dover21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Have you checked the battery ? If they are going bad these can do some really funky things like not idling etc
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

The battery is not even a week old. The problem began after installing the new battery and the outside temp began to drop.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Have you checked your spark plugs?
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

The spark plugs are two years old. I haven't checked them, but could/would that cause difficulty starting when the vehicle's cold? If it's the plugs, that's cool because they're dirt cheap to replace relative to a new sensor.

Unread 11-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Not sure about cold starting but that would be first on my list when it comes to starting problems where the engine turns over.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

It starts fine, but won't maintain idle once started and then craps out unless constant gas is being given. I'll check the plugs this weekend.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.