Tailgate Rattle Driving Me Crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tailgate Rattle Driving Me Crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Deanna

Tailgate Rattle Driving Me Crazy

There must be a problem with the Liberty tailgate design. My 2003 Liberty Sport has had an irritating rattle in the tailgate. I began to hear a rattle coming from the rear of the vehicle about 3 months after I bought it new. I have taken it in to the dealer on TEN occasions where the dealer has attempted to fix the problem. They have looked at the problem as Tire mount loose, window loose, latch loose, door hinges loose... everything everywhere. It has be lubricated, removed and recently replaced. Still rattles. A Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep engineer fixed it once in 2004, and it did not rattle for about two months, but alas the gate was adjusted so tight, it eventually broke a latch component. The last fix was to replace the latch components and handle with the upgraded 2005 parts which they said were stronger. Erk. Every time I corner or hit a bump. Rattle rattle.

We have tried everything but total replacement of the tailgate. The rattle always returns after about a month from service. Now after I take it in for repair, they can only "reduce" the rattle, and it slowly gets worse until I cannot stand it and I must take it back to the dealer. My service rep says it is a design flaw. Cannot be fixed. I feel that cannot be true, but would like to know if anyone else has this problem with the Liberty. I love the vehicle, but am really tired of listening to this persistent rattle.

Deanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
bigpapa

Annoying tailgate rattle

Deanna,

I have had that same annoying rattle in my tailgate as well. I had my jeep in pretty much the whole day and they asked me to step into the jeep to take a ride. We proceeded to drive and the technicians asked me if the noise they were hearing was the same that I was hearing. Anything that rattles and/or squeeks on a 3 month old vehicle should be a given that's something is wrong. After MANY attempts, their last resort was to readjust the guide pin. The noise has returned!!!!!! I'm planning on taking it back. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you.
bigpapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
valvestem

Rattle

We should start a sub chapter called the "Rattle Gates"! Home of the cheep jeep (just kidding).

Welcome to the club, I have a 2003 with the same problem, I have not been able to get it quiet either, by lubrication and/or adjustment.
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
russu6

i have a 05 same sh@t i dunno what to say it might be the tail gate clamps that hold with the screws who knows..... but i did get rear ended a while ago so i figured it was the body shop guess not ha>?
russu6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

What does it sound like?
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
Eddo

Tailgate sags after time because of the weight. You just need to adjust it every now and then, including the guide pin, latching mechanism, plastic piece, and the c shaped bracket on the gate. It really only take a minute or two once you get the hang of it.
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
Deanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt
What does it sound like?
The rattle is an assortment of sounds including bumping, knocking, and rapping. Occurs mosting when making a turn and/or hitting rough pavement. Louder when a turning. Get progressively worse as time goes on.
Unread 11-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Deanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddo
Tailgate sags after time because of the weight. You just need to adjust it every now and then, including the guide pin, latching mechanism, plastic piece, and the c shaped bracket on the gate. It really only take a minute or two once you get the hang of it.
Thank you for the reply to my post. Obviously, this is what the dealer does when I take it in and it helps, but with age, it does not go away. Last visit they replaced these parts including new latch. Why in the world should this be acceptable? I paid good money for this vehicle and should not have to accept "oh, it's a Jeep, and Jeep's rattle". So what happens when the warranty runs out? I do not have the skills or means to "fix" it every few months, so I guess I will have to find someone to do it for me at my expense. This is simply not acceptable to me.
Unread 11-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Steven73

tailgate rattle

It shouldn't be acceptable, but you have to learn to live with some of these kind of problems. No vehicle is perfect, not even a Jeep. I have a 2003 with the same kind of rattle. I look on it as a rough road indicator, and kind of miss it when I don't hear it. Look at it this way....as long as the tailgate is still rattling, you know it's still there!
Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
naguabo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I solved some kind of noise - rattle... coming from the back latch door.
Solved just lubricating the automatic rear glass opener mechanism.
There is a small piece of rubber that makes contact with the rear glass... just lubricate that rubber and.. it may helps...
[SIZE=3][FONT=garamond]Jeep Wrangler Sport 2005, black, 4.oL, auto, 3.73 axle, Dana 44 rear, K/N Cold Air Intake Kit, Ravine Wheels, Dual Top, Olympic 4x4 Front End and Brush Guards and my wife Libbys is a 2003 - Jeep Liberty Sport - 4x4 - v6 - Draw-Tite Hitch - K & N + TrackRacing Cold Air Intake, WARTHOG Brush-Guard. See both cars in [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666075/1]My Cars[/URL] [/FONT][/SIZE]
naguabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
JeepGalPeg

My 2005 Liberty CRD rattled from the time I drove it off the lot so I took it back the next day, but mine was more from the flipper glass, not the tailgate itself. They replaced the latch on the flipper glass and put some type of goo on it for lubrication. That lasted about a week before it started rattling again.

I just got my trusty can of WD-40 and squirted a little inside the latch housing and I've been rattle-free since July.

Peggy
JeepGalPeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Steven73

rattling back door.............

you'll get used to it....turn up your stereo
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Steven73

Rear Door Rattle fixed

I never had a rear door rattle until about 3 weeks ago. 4 years ago I had an accident which involved the rear door, and the entire door had to be replaced by my local body shop. Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago, when I began hearing a rattle coming from the back door area every time I went over even the slightest bump. Seeing as the roads in the northern part of Idaho are terrible...they're full of bumps, so I was hearing it all the time, and it was driving me crazy. I took off the inside door panel of the swing gate, thinking the body shop had left something hanging or not tightened something. Everything was ok, but i could still hear it. I then pushed on the spare tire when the door was closed and I heard it rattling. After taking off the spare tire, and the spare tire security cover, I began checking the tightness of the mounting bracket bolts next to the door. 3 of them were rock solid tight, but when I slipped the lug wrench on the 4th one it turned about 1/4 of a turn. Making sure it was really snug, I put everything back in reverse order and tested for rattles......NO RATTLES....I can now have my sanity back. Moral of the story. If you hear rattles from the back door, check the mounting bolts on the spare tire mounting bracket, and on the spare tire itself. It just might be the source of the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.