Tailgate Locking problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tailgate Locking problem

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
antlery

Tailgate Locking problem

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that does not have power door locks. When I lock the tailgate, usually when using the rear wiper, I can almost never get the tailgate to unlock. has anyone else had this issue and found a way to fix this or work around it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

antlery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

I am not exactly sure (as I have power locks) but is it stuck? Maybe some spray silicon grease would help it. Don't use WD-40 as that will evaporate/go away and you'll have to keep using it all the time.
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
antlery

No, I don't think it is stuck. I just keep turning the key and it will eventually open. Last time it took almost 10 minutes of key turning. I actually am leaving it unlocked right now, it is so much trouble get unlocked. What is frustrating is that it is a manual lock, not power locks. When you turn on the rear wiper however, it locks up tight. Thanks for the suggestion.
antlery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Antlery, I had/ have the same problem with my 02 KJ. The electronic lock cylinder actuator has gone/ is going bad. Basically for me one day I had full function of the tail gate and none the next, did some investigation and this is what I found.

IF your tail gate won't open get a flash light and a flat tip screwdriver, flip your rear seats down, pry open the access panel on the tail gate (lower left from inside when tail gate is shut) with the screwdriver, peel back the protective film and insulation. If you lay down in the jeep facing the rear, look into the access panel at the slight upper left and you'll see a small black nubbed end, this the end of the actuator that drives the keyed and key less operation. Reach in and flip/ toggle the switch up you'll physically hear it "click" your tailgate will now open.

While your in there you could try adding a lubricant to the moving parts or spray some electrical cleaner on them.

By doing the above it most likely won't permanently fix the problem as I've been doing the above stated for 2 plus years now. Occasionally I have to reach in through the back window and manually actuate/ flip the switch as a result I just leave that small inspection plate/ access panel off. Sometimes the lock mechanism works flawlessly for 4-6 months straight other times I might only get a week before repeating the process. I've had a hard time justifying spending the $250+ for the new switch.

Anyways, hope this helps you.
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.