Tail light keeps burning out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Tail light keeps burning out

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Tail light keeps burning out

The driver's side tail light/brake light keeps burning out on my 2005 KJ. I'll fit a new bulb and get maybe a week out of it before it blows again.

There are obvious signs of overheating on the bulb holder, so is there anything I can do to fix the problem permanently? Do I just need a new holder?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
04liberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

You probably need a new socket. Once it goes bad it burns bulbs out fast.
04liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The little metal fingers where the bulb holder contacts in the actual tail light housing likes to melt and sink into the housing.The only real fix is to get a new tail light housing and new bulb holders(do not come with tail light housing).
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I've discovered what the problem was. There's a known issue with a clear plastic surround inside the tail light housing being affected by heat over time. Eventually it breaks away and touches the bulb, creating a hotspot that quickly burns it out. I took the unit right off the Jeep and gave it a shake and what do you know, that's what had happened to mine. It's a hefty chunk of plastic rattling around inside the tail light, but it's invisible from the outside.

Officially the only fix is to replace the entire tail light housing, but unofficially you can get some needlenose pliers in there to break up the plastic and pull it out (it's toughened, so it was a real PITA). Even though the plastic is supposedly some kind of lens, there's no appreciable difference to the brightness of the light compared to the passenger side once you've pulled it out. Hopefully my problem has now gone away.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
4x4kingx889
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have the same problem it even burnt out my led bulb after 2 months
Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan
4x4kingx889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
4x4kingx889
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
I've discovered what the problem was. There's a known issue with a clear plastic surround inside the tail light housing being affected by heat over time. Eventually it breaks away and touches the bulb, creating a hotspot that quickly burns it out. I took the unit right off the Jeep and gave it a shake and what do you know, that's what had happened to mine. It's a hefty chunk of plastic rattling around inside the tail light, but it's invisible from the outside.

Officially the only fix is to replace the entire tail light housing, but unofficially you can get some needlenose pliers in there to break up the plastic and pull it out (it's toughened, so it was a real PITA). Even though the plastic is supposedly some kind of lens, there's no appreciable difference to the brightness of the light compared to the passenger side once you've pulled it out. Hopefully my problem has now gone away.
samething with mine I could not get the peace out tho
Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan
4x4kingx889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Same problem. I took a small wood screw (brass). Drilled a hole from the outside and pulled the clear plastic up to the outside cover. Problem solved.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.