Synthetic Oil ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Synthetic Oil ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Synthetic Oil ?

I am thinking about switching and I have some questions. I have about 54,000 miles on my 2006 liberty. Is it too late to switch to synthetic? Are there any potential problems with the switch?

Is there a clear advantage to using synthetic and changing very 6,000 miles over using regular and changing every three thousand miles?

Unread 04-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
I am thinking about switching and I have some questions. I have about 54,000 miles on my 2006 liberty. Is it too late to switch to synthetic? Are there any potential problems with the switch?

None whatsoever. Synthetic oil is completely compatible with conventional oil and with all the seals in your engine. The stories about problems switching to synthetic at high mileage are all ancient history.

Quote:
Is there a clear advantage to using synthetic and changing very 6,000 miles over using regular and changing every three thousand miles?
Frankly, not much with a couple of exceptions. Synthetic will not form the yellowish harmless "varnish" deposits that conventional oil will, but you'd never know the difference if you didn't open the engine. Personally, I use synthetics and push my oil change intervals out further, but that works with my usage (very few trips less than 15 miles). If you do a lot of short trips, moisture/acid contamination will push you toward needing shorter intervals no matter which oil you use. If you just want the peace of mind that synthetic gives, then go for it.

Now the exceptions- do you run 5w20 oil in that engine? If so, then synthetics are the way to go (in fact, almost any 5w20 will have some synthetics in it these days and are very good oils). Do you have any interest in running a 0w30 to get a little better mileage? If so, then the synthetic 0w30s (like Mobil 1's "advanced fuel economy) are some of the better oils on the market these days. Finally, synthetics do better in extreme heat and extreme cold.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
None whatsoever. Synthetic oil is completely compatible with conventional oil and with all the seals in your engine. The stories about problems switching to synthetic at high mileage are all ancient history.

Frankly, not much with a couple of exceptions. Synthetic will not form the yellowish harmless "varnish" deposits that conventional oil will, but you'd never know the difference if you didn't open the engine. Personally, I use synthetics and push my oil change intervals out further, but that works with my usage (very few trips less than 15 miles). If you do a lot of short trips, moisture/acid contamination will push you toward needing shorter intervals no matter which oil you use. If you just want the peace of mind that synthetic gives, then go for it.

Now the exceptions- do you run 5w20 oil in that engine? If so, then synthetics are the way to go (in fact, almost any 5w20 will have some synthetics in it these days and are very good oils). Do you have any interest in running a 0w30 to get a little better mileage? If so, then the synthetic 0w30s (like Mobil 1's "advanced fuel economy) are some of the better oils on the market these days. Finally, synthetics do better in extreme heat and extreme cold.

I drive a lot of short trips and I live in western ny where the winters are really cold and long. I drive about 2.5 miles to work, later in the day I have to drive to court at least 3 days a week which is about 2 miles away. Then I go home for lunch, back to the office or court and then home in the evening. As you can see, I spend all day driving around town. This why I thought changing to synthetic would be good, I am not concerned about oil change intervals and would still get it done quite a bit either way. I plan on getting at least 200,000-250,000 out of my jeep so I want the engine to last. Should I switch or just keep changing every 3,000? Would it help to change eery 2,500 instead?
Unread 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Jakked

Quote:
I drive a lot of short trips and I live in western ny where the winters are really cold and long. I drive about 2.5 miles to work, later in the day I have to drive to court at least 3 days a week which is about 2 miles away. Then I go home for lunch, back to the office or court and then home in the evening.
That kind of short-trip winter driving is bad for your engine & exhaust regardless of what kind of oil you use. You really need to be letting the engine come all the way up to operating temperature.

There's a lot of folk wisdom on oil change intervals and everyone will have a different answer depending on his/her own driving habits.

If you want to know for sure, take an oil sample and send it to a lab like Blackstone. They will be able to tell you what's in your oil and how quickly it is wearing down. Each test is about $15-$25. You should only need 1 or 2 tests before you can determine for yourself what your best oil interval is.

I use synthetic 5w-30 and intervals of 4,000-4,500, or 1 year, whichever comes first.
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I think with the short trips I make, the cold winters and the fact I want to get at least 200k out of my liberty I should make the switch now.

I am thinking 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter and changing it 3times a year aprox every 4500 miles?. Does this sound right?

Any suggestions on Filters? Can I just use the mopar filter or should I use the mobil one filter? Which one is better? Thanks for your help.
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Jakked

Quote:
I think I am going to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic. I think with the short trips I make, the cold winters and the fact I want to get at least 200k out of my liberty I should make the switch now.

I am thinking 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter and changing it 3times a year aprox every 4500 miles?. Does this sound right?

Any suggestions on Filters? Can I just use the mopar filter or should I use the mobil one filter? Which one is better? Thanks for your help.
I'm partial to the K&N oil filter.
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Like Jakked said everyone has their own opinion on the matter but like you i plan on getting a good amount of miles out of my Jeep, I use Mobile 1 5W-20 with the Mobile 1 Filter every 3,000 Miles
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

250,000 plus miles and still my daily runner original block non-smoker, started using synthetics around 170,000 miles. and just passed smog this week too.
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
hollysprings
2006 KJ Liberty 

On filters, the NAPA Gold Series is supposed to be equal to the Mobil 1 filter, with everything else inferior. This is based on extensive tests some guys did on all filters available for the XJ. As I recall, the main point of failure was that all the other filters at some point would allow the pre-filtered oil to mix with the post-filtered oil, so that some oil did not pass through the filter on every cycle. Frams were the worst, but I forget the rankings on the others in between. Bottom line was NAPA Gold part #51515 was the best value, costing less than half what Mobil 1 filter did. (That's XJ part number - does anybody know the NAPA Gold oil filter number for KJ's?)

IMHO, buying the absolute best oil and filter is a very cost-efficient investment; likewise plugs and wires and dist cap. Look at total costs over 200K life. Gas is by far the biggest number: at 17 MPG and $3 gallon (future gas price over 5-15 years), gas will cost you $35,290 for 200K miles. At $4/gallon, $47,060. By contrast, if you spend $50 per oil change for syn oil and best filter and change every 6K miles, that's $1,667 total over 200K miles, or less than 1/20th what you'll spend for $3 gas. Bottom line - buy the cheapest gas, but the most expensive oil and filter.
hollysprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ive used Amsoil heavy duty synthetic diesel oil in all my deisel vehicles for years. Dodge Cummins, VW Jetta TDI, Suzuki Samurai (Toy 2.4 liter diesel) 2006 CRD Liberty. It allows you to go 10,000+ miles between changes as long as your either changing the oil filter every 3-5000 miles or using a bypass oil filter. Ive sent in oil analysis samples to a lab at 5 them 10,000 miles and each time the oil was reported as good! Still!
CRD_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
Ive used Amsoil heavy duty synthetic diesel oil in all my deisel vehicles for years. Dodge Cummins, VW Jetta TDI, Suzuki Samurai (Toy 2.4 liter diesel) 2006 CRD Liberty. It allows you to go 10,000+ miles between changes as long as your either changing the oil filter every 3-5000 miles or using a bypass oil filter. Ive sent in oil analysis samples to a lab at 5 them 10,000 miles and each time the oil was reported as good! Still!
Are you not running the Amsoil Ea series oil filter w/ that? No problem running them to 10K along w/ the oil.
99 TJ, Green - Son 2
HotRodOil.com
LOST JEEPS Club So-Cal Forum
JJsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsKJ View Post
Are you not running the Amsoil Ea series oil filter w/ that? No problem running them to 10K along w/ the oil.
Im using the EA in my Dodge and CRD. Ive never had other than positive oil analysis results from any rig at the 10,000 or 15,000 mark using EA or not. It's really good oil. I simply change out my oil filter every 3,000 miles.
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
Im using the EA in my Dodge and CRD. Ive never had other than positive oil analysis results from any rig at the 10,000 or 15,000 mark using EA or not. It's really good oil. I simply change out my oil filter every 3,000 miles.
Adding additional fresh oil at each filter change is certainly going to have a positive effect on your UOA. I would bet you could change the filter less frequently w/ similar or same results on the UOA. Ever consider a bypass system?
99 TJ, Green - Son 2
HotRodOil.com
LOST JEEPS Club So-Cal Forum
JJsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsKJ View Post
Adding additional fresh oil at each filter change is certainly going to have a positive effect on your UOA. I would bet you could change the filter less frequently w/ similar or same results on the UOA. Ever consider a bypass system?
JJ, I have an Amsoil bypass system in my 2L powered Samurai. It works great. I never bothered with the TDI. I probably should have. The CRD is another matter. I was thinking about starting a thread to see if anyone else had done such a thing...

Tom
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Seems like you guys are on top of the Amsoil stuff, but if you have any questions, just send 'em my way.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.