Synthetic oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Synthetic oil

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
dadoftwo
2004 KJ Liberty 

Synthetic oil

Key guys, I was wondering, who all uses synthetic motor oil in their Liberty? I had a 89 Toyota 4x4 a while back that I got over 300,000 miles on and I always ran Mobil 1 synthetic. I have 51,000 miles on wife's Liberty and have always let dealer change oil/filter. I'm gonna start doing it myself again and was thinking of going to MObil 1 5W30 synthetic to help keep Liberty lasting long. What do ya think? Thanks for replies.

dadoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
rmcalis
2011 WK 

Based on your history, it sounds like you would feel better by using the synthetic. Personally, I have never used a synthetic (or synthetic blend) engine oil and have never had an engine failure or had an engine develop excessive oil consumption. I believe regular oil changes with a good quality oil of the recommended viscosity grade is the key. I currently drive a 2005 KJ and do all the maintenance myself using Valvoline 5W-30 dino oil and Motorcraft oil filters.
rmcalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
timc
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using Mobil-1 5W30 in mine. I get the Mobil-1 at wallymart in the 5-qt jug which is convenient. Fill a bit in the filter and then just dump the rest. Quicker than opening bottles. I just put the used stuff back in the same jug for easy transport to the recycling center. Not so easy to do with 1-qt bottles. I also use the Mobil-1 oil filters (because Farm&Barn only sells two filters -- Mobil-1 and Fram...) The used oil analysis on a ~4K mile interval came back looking good.

Some will say that synth is a waste of money. Sorry. If I really wanted to save money, I'd get one of them there hybrid cars. ('Course, I couldn't make it up my driveway 6 months of the year in one of those. No thanks.) If it doesn't help, at least it won't hurt it.
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
rokcrawler3203
1974 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc
I just put the used stuff back in the same jug for easy transport to the recycling center. Not so easy to do with 1-qt bottles.

A really handy way is to use old laundry detergent bottles and pop off the top and use it as a oil carrier.

"Of course I keep my dishwater clean, it just looks like chocolate milk and lettuce when I'm done" --Chance; A fellow employee
NITECREW #245
rokcrawler3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

All the diesels came factory with synthetic oil.
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Jakked

I've used Mobil1 5w-30 in the Libby for the past 20,000 miles. 5 quarts + K&N oil filter (it has a handy 1" lug on the end). I change it about every 4,000-5,000 miles and have seen absolutely zero oil consumption.
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
LibertyLimited

My past experience with synthetic oil has been positive so I will start using it again in this new Liberty starting at 5000 miles which I should have in a few more weeks. Sitting on 3964 miles at the moment.

[I][B]- John F. Kennedy[/B][/I]
LibertyLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
RickM

I used Mobil 1 synthetic 10w20 in my KJ for 67,000 miles, and had no problems at all.

I have already done an oil change in my KK and used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20. I found that I can buy the 5w20 at Walmart in a 5 quart container for $21 and some change.

With the price of regular motor oil these days, that's not too much more than regular motor oil.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
Silver Streak
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have used only synthetic for so long i cannot remember when it was i switched over, maybe the `80s. I use Mobil1 in my Jeep and did use some Rotella 5W-40 synthetic since I have a CRD. My wife's PT I use Mobil1 15W-50 and it now has 120K+ miles with not one single problem of any kind. Still runs splendidly, every day to work and back for her. I use the same Mobil1 in my Moto Guzzi motorcycle, and also in my wife's Aprilia Scarabeo 500 maxi-scooter. Good stuff in my book and we highly recommend it; well worth the money. I get the extended drain with the gold cap that is said to be good for 15K mile drain intervals and change it at 10K to be ahead of the curve on it.

Silver Streak
`05 CRD Sport
`04 Chrysler PT Cruiser
`06 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 GT ABS
`07 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
indianrefining

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoftwo
Key guys, I was wondering, who all uses synthetic motor oil in their Liberty? I had a 89 Toyota 4x4 a while back that I got over 300,000 miles on and I always ran Mobil 1 synthetic. I have 51,000 miles on wife's Liberty and have always let dealer change oil/filter. I'm gonna start doing it myself again and was thinking of going to MObil 1 5W30 synthetic to help keep Liberty lasting long. What do ya think? Thanks for replies.
My feeling is that synthetic motor oils are over-hyped and over-priced. They might be worth the extra cost if you were driving under the most extreme conditions (e.g., above the Arctic circle or in the Sahara) but not, IMHO, for the average driver. You can't go wrong with regular changes with a quality PCMO formulated from Group III or III+ lube base oil. My personal choice has always been Havoline.
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
CMax26az
2007 KJ Liberty 

The fact is: Synthetic oils are simply more refined. The abilities of motor oils to lubricate and suspend dirt when they are brand new out of the bottle are the same between naturals and synthetics. the speed at which they become dirty an viscosity breaks down is what separates them. synthetics last longer, they do not lubiricate more or better, just for longer within required specs. motor oils have basic requirements they all must meet and nearly everything being sold today meets the requirements. from the 1.00 qt all the way up to 12.95 a qt for Amsoil or royal purple.

If you are using naturals, change it every 3k
If you are using full synthetics, change it every 5k
DO NOT BELIEVE THIS 15k OILS BULLCRAP THOUGH.....never go beyond 7k, its not worth the risk

This being said, I personally perfer Mobil1 full synthetic 10w-30, I run Amsoil or Mobil1 full synthetic 15w-50 raceweight in my modified SRT-4. I choose oil based on what the vehicle will be doing, my KJ is a commuter car, the Mobil1 full synthetic 10w-30 is fine for it and changes every 3-4 k. My SRT4 gets Mobil1 full synthetic 15w-50 raceweight because it rev's high near redline A LOT and the motor runs hotter and its turbocharged so the 15w-50 has a greater temp range and it gets changed based on visual condition or at 5k.
CMax26az is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
gun-runner

First oil change (wife's '07 Liberty Limited 4-wheel drive) last week @ 3,000 miles. I had the Jeep Dealer use Mobil-1 5W30. More expensive, yes. Better Oil, probably. Does my wife need it in her everyday stop and go city driving, probably not. But I figure with oil changes every 3 months (at 3,000 miles) who cares. Cheap enough for 4 changes per year. If I can't afford to use Synthetic, I sure as hell couldn't afford the 13.48 miles per gallon it gets.
gun-runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 01:34 AM   #13
RickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun-runner
First oil change (wife's '07 Liberty Limited 4-wheel drive) last week @ 3,000 miles. I had the Jeep Dealer use Mobil-1 5W30. More expensive, yes. Better Oil, probably. Does my wife need it in her everyday stop and go city driving, probably not. But I figure with oil changes every 3 months (at 3,000 miles) who cares. Cheap enough for 4 changes per year. If I can't afford to use Synthetic, I sure as hell couldn't afford the 13.48 miles per gallon it gets.
You should do what I do...

The dealer charges an arm and a leg for Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I just buy the oil and Walmart and take it to the dealer to change for me. Actually, with the price of motor oil now days, synthetic is not that much more money.

I buy a 5 quart container of Mobil 5W20 at Walmart for $21 and some change, that's not too bad.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
CMax26az
2007 KJ Liberty 

AGREED....take in your oun oil. I work in the auto industry and its typical to charge about 8 or 9 dollars per qt for synthetic oil. Get it at wallyworld and take it in yourself, you save $$.
CMax26az is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMax26az
The fact is: Synthetic oils are simply more refined. The abilities of motor oils to lubricate and suspend dirt when they are brand new out of the bottle are the same between naturals and synthetics. the speed at which they become dirty an viscosity breaks down is what separates them. synthetics last longer, they do not lubiricate more or better, just for longer within required specs. motor oils have basic requirements they all must meet and nearly everything being sold today meets the requirements. from the 1.00 qt all the way up to 12.95 a qt for Amsoil or royal purple.

If you are using naturals, change it every 3k
If you are using full synthetics, change it every 5k
DO NOT BELIEVE THIS 15k OILS BULLCRAP THOUGH.....never go beyond 7k, its not worth the risk

This being said, I personally perfer Mobil1 full synthetic 10w-30, I run Amsoil or Mobil1 full synthetic 15w-50 raceweight in my modified SRT-4. I choose oil based on what the vehicle will be doing, my KJ is a commuter car, the Mobil1 full synthetic 10w-30 is fine for it and changes every 3-4 k. My SRT4 gets Mobil1 full synthetic 15w-50 raceweight because it rev's high near redline A LOT and the motor runs hotter and its turbocharged so the 15w-50 has a greater temp range and it gets changed based on visual condition or at 5k.
I see that you run an Amsoil product in your SRT4, which one? If you are using Amsoil you must believe in the product. What has you not believing the Extended Drain Interval "hype" as you call it? Have you ever taken an oil sample for an evaluation instead of the visual inspection? Could I get some of you to buy Amsoil at a much cheaper price? $12.95 is way too high!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.