swing gate door handle assembly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > swing gate door handle assembly

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
ajf66
2002 KJ Liberty 

swing gate door handle assembly

I am looking for a detailed diagram of internal assembly for swing gate door handle. I am currently able to pop glass up with remote but have to reach in door panel to pull rod to open latch that opens door. I am wondering where/how the other end of the rod connects directly to door handle. I am thinking I may need to order a connecting part. Any help in this matter is sincerely appreciated.

ajf66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
teamfast
2007 KJ Liberty 

you need the door latch mechanism. Be ready to pay about 250 bucks. Ridiculous. Takes about 20 min to complete this job.
teamfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The links to the latch assembly are not shown but I put the part numbes at the bottom of the parts list and the latest part number for the latch is #5. Hope this helps.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf66 View Post
I am looking for a detailed diagram of internal assembly for swing gate door handle. I am currently able to pop glass up with remote but have to reach in door panel to pull rod to open latch that opens door. I am wondering where/how the other end of the rod connects directly to door handle. I am thinking I may need to order a connecting part. Any help in this matter is sincerely appreciated.
Depending on what broke, you may actually need the handle and not the latch. Mine broke and I thought it was the latch but the part that broke off, which was inside the gate, is actually part of the handle assembly. What happens when you pull on the handle? Does the handle pull out freely like there's no resistance?

If you do need the latch I have a brand new one for a 2002 that I can let you have for $110 shipped. (Dealer price is $217). Just PM me if you want it.

Last edited by soulfinger; 07-01-2010 at 01:17 PM..
soulfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
ajf66
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yes, I pull handle with no resistance. I have been able to reattach lever that opens open door but still unsuccessful in opening door. I guess I needed to replace whole handle assembly. Would a salvage yard find work just as well? Or am I better off purchasing from Jeep?
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf66 View Post
Yes, I pull handle with no resistance. I have been able to reattach lever that opens open door but still unsuccessful in opening door. I guess I needed to replace whole handle assembly. Would a salvage yard find work just as well? Or am I better off purchasing from Jeep?
I think you'd be fine either way. Depends on how you feel about the price. You can buy the handle new online for $65 or so.

Do you have any pictures of exactly what broke?

Last edited by soulfinger; 07-02-2010 at 11:14 AM..
soulfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
ajf66
2002 KJ Liberty 

That's just it, I am not sure what broke. Gramps provided a few diagrams. Figure 11 Latch bottom diagram 2/ latch actuator rod connector is my guess.
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

Oh, when you said something about reattaching the lever, I thought you might have identified what broke. On mine it was a metal tab that fits into a groove in the plastic tab that extends into the gate from the handle. The handle would pull out freely and the glass would open but not the gate. I may have some pics from when mine broke. I'll post them if I can find them.
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

OK, here's pictures of mine when it broke.

In this shot, the yellow arrow indicates the latch. The green arrow points to the handle assembly. This is looking from the inside of the vehicle toward the gate with interior trim removed. As you can see, the latch and the handle are distinct part assemblies. They are connected by a rod that you can't see in these shots.

The shot below is a closeup of the handle assembly. The orange arrow shows where my problem was. The metal part above the arrow is supposed to extend down into the black plastic part below the arrow. (The black piece is a molded part of the handle itself). When you pull on the handle, the plastic handle pulls the metal piece, which is part of a hinge that pivots and pushes the connecting rod (not visible) which trips the latch that opens the gate. The metal piece broke where it extends down into the handle, so the gate would no longer open when the handle was pulled. The latch itself was unbroken.
Unread 11-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
ajf66
2002 KJ Liberty 

Exactly what was wrong with mine. Finally going to purchase new handle assembly and fix. Thanks.
Unread 11-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

Glad to help.
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
dlemas
2002 KJ Liberty 

swing gate door handle assembly

My question is directly related to "soulfinger" as I am looking for a Jeep Liberty 2002 swing gate handle mechanism. Unfortunately the Denver area does not currently have this hardware available in a pick-n-pull. Not many Jeeps in Salvage yards. Thus I am looking for someone who is willing to part this hardware out or reasonable suggestions on ordering this part online. Suggestions?
dlemas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Liberty&Freedom
2003 KJ Liberty 

I have a handle that I bought for the flip glass switch. If all you news is the handle, it is extra & we can work something out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.