Stripped Transmission Pan Threads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Stripped Transmission Pan Threads

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Liberty03

Stripped Transmission Pan Threads

Hello all,
So I noticed the other day that the transmission pan looked a little wet, a quick wipe with a rag and sure enough some red fluid was dripping out. Today I decided to drop the pan and replace the fluid and reapply the RTV sealant. As I went to remove the bolts, a few bolts came out easier than others, at first I though the dealership had just not tightened the bolts to spec, however after putting everything back together I noticed I wasn't able to torque the bolts properly. Looks like the threads have been stripped.
I was wondering what is the best way to fix this? I know I could tap a slightly larger screw diameter and use the corresponding screw, however is that the best method? or is it better to use one of the repair kits from time-sert or helicoil, anybody with experience with either?

Thanks for the help.

Liberty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty03 View Post
Hello all,
So I noticed the other day that the transmission pan looked a little wet, a quick wipe with a rag and sure enough some red fluid was dripping out. Today I decided to drop the pan and replace the fluid and reapply the RTV sealant. As I went to remove the bolts, a few bolts came out easier than others, at first I though the dealership had just not tightened the bolts to spec, however after putting everything back together I noticed I wasn't able to torque the bolts properly. Looks like the threads have been stripped.
I was wondering what is the best way to fix this? I know I could tap a slightly larger screw diameter and use the corresponding screw, however is that the best method? or is it better to use one of the repair kits from time-sert or helicoil, anybody with experience with either?

Thanks for the help.
Take it back to the dealership who did this the last service and raise hell. Other wise heli coil the holes and fix the problem.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Liberty03

Normally I would, but the strange thing is that I last had the service done almost 2 years ago. Why/How it lasted this long without leaking is a little unbelievable, but it did.
Looks like time-serts are pretty rare in Canada, around 100 bucks to ship through ebay, heli-coils look like they can be found at napa canada, not sure about the price. I was wondering what preferences people have?
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
grenade187
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm a machinist. I've used heli-coils many times and they work great. They are actually better than the original threads, because the heli-coil will be wound into a slightly larger diameter thread, giving them more bearing surface, and the heli-coil itself is made of hardened tool steel, so thread wear is not an issue. Sometimes we'll get a job making a part from soft material like aluminum or cast iron and the customer's engineers will specifically ask for the threaded holes to be drilled and tapped for heli-coils. They're easy enough to install, just make sure you break the little drive tang off after you wind them in.
grenade187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Liberty03

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will give the heli-coils a try.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.