Street Savy, but Off-Road Capable Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Street Savy, but Off-Road Capable Lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
barrettm808
2004 KJ Liberty 

Street Savy, but Off-Road Capable Lift?

Hello everyone,

There are so many options out there and I wanted to hear from actual owners of lift kits. I do mostly city/HWY miles but I go up to Placerville/Tahoe County in California once a month. I like to remind myself I own an 4X4 Off-road beast.

Any recommendations for a lift kit for the casual Off-roader? I was looking at The Rock Krawler 3.5 Inch X Factor System.

Any input, 2cents, helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

barrettm808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
barrettm808
2004 KJ Liberty 

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well ... Welcome!

First thing you will hear around these boards is ... just walk away from the spacer kits. Your springs and shocks have given you all they have at this point (assuming they are stock) and any spacer lift you get is just going to accelerate their demise and offer you an even crappier ride.

Either OME or Iron man for springs and shocks (other quality shocks are available as well)

So .. simply adjust your budget limit upwards a bit and then check out JBA

Cheers,
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettm808 View Post
Hello everyone,

There are so many options out there and I wanted to hear from actual owners of lift kits. I do mostly city/HWY miles but I go up to Placerville/Tahoe County in California once a month. I like to remind myself I own an 4X4 Off-road beast.

Any recommendations for a lift kit for the casual Off-roader? I was looking at The Rock Krawler 3.5 Inch X Factor System.

Any input, 2cents, helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
JUST SAY NO TO THE ROCK KRAPPER LIFT
Now that is out of the way
depending on how much lift you want, you can go from 2.75 inches up to 6 inches, from 650-700 bucks to 4000 or so.
PLUS doesn't matter if you only wheel one time a year, you still want a good ride on the road, better handling and more control don't you? If so then full spring lift and new shocks all around
Like mentioned JBA has everything from mild to wild
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
barrettm808
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes I would love a smoother ride, handling and control. I think my stock shocks have given its all as Luke09 stated. After your feedback and searching KJ lifts on these forums; I have learned its better to do lift the right way the first time. Although it may hurt the wallet upfront, down the road it will save money. So as it seems I have 1 of 3 options.

OME 1.50" lift kit KJ vs KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit HD vs Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit KJ

One of the 3 is yours as it has your name it...lol. But can you give me a better understanding of OME vs Ironman.

Iron man seems straight forward with option to get the A-arms. On the other hand OME has 4 different options for front and rear w/ A-arms option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if i were to purchase - would this be the correct setup for OME.

OME 1.50" lift kit KJ

Do you want to add Als A-arms to the kit?
Yes, Please add Al's A-amrs for a lifted KJ
What Front Springs and Struts?
3.7LHD 150lb-GVW 1) OME2927 Springs 2) NS131 Strut
What Rear Springs and Shocks?
Gas/Diesel-Med 1) OME2948 Springs 2) N132L Shocks

Then you got the 3.5 lift option. Does this also include the A-arms? If so, at $1135 (OME) vs $1355 (ED.ECO) - It looks like $200 is wroth an extra 2" lift.

Will i run into more problems, alignment, tire pressure, control, handling with a 3.5" lift vs a 1.5" lift? On a good side note, i barely fit under my car without jacks to do my oil change, so an extra 1.5-3.5" will give me some breathing room. Thanks for the input and advice.

-Michael
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

with just the OME 927/948s you will get more than 1.5 inches of lift
you'll get some where close to 2.25-2.5 over new stock height
The Econo lift also include a top plate for an extra 1/2 inch lift and also a collar for the clevis for another 1/2 to 3/4 inches of lift and the tri link extender is also included.
As far as ride the OME and Ironman seem to ride pretty much the same. I've installed both on mine and others and I think you'd like the ride of either one or combination of parts
The Econo lift was just put together so people could have a one stop shopping with all parts but front bumpstops included
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
barrettm808
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
with just the OME 927/948s you will get more than 1.5 inches of lift
you'll get some where close to 2.25-2.5 over new stock height
The Econo lift also include a top plate for an extra 1/2 inch lift and also a collar for the clevis for another 1/2 to 3/4 inches of lift and the tri link extender is also included.
As far as ride the OME and Ironman seem to ride pretty much the same. I've installed both on mine and others and I think you'd like the ride of either one or combination of parts
The Econo lift was just put together so people could have a one stop shopping with all parts but front bumpstops included
Well that was a smart idea. I guess i could do it in phases, but with my soon expected tax return - Ill probably do the one stop deal. So with that in mind- I have to buy 2 front bump stops in addition to the package? Does that hockeypuck trick work or what part would u recommend?

Thanks again Tom. You are very helpful and informative.
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettm808 View Post
Well that was a smart idea. I guess i could do it in phases, but with my soon expected tax return - Ill probably do the one stop deal. So with that in mind- I have to buy 2 front bump stops in addition to the package? Does that hockeypuck trick work or what part would u recommend?

Thanks again Tom. You are very helpful and informative.
Hockey pucks work for the rear but you have to get the pre made ones for the front

Tags
lift , lift 3.25" , lift advice , lift and tire combination , lift kit advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.