Strange Turn Signal Problem... 2002 KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Strange Turn Signal Problem... 2002 KJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

Strange Turn Signal Problem... 2002 KJ

About a month ago my wife's left turn signal stopped working properly. The right side is totally fine. Most of the time there is nothing, no blinking no clicking, BUT every now and then it will come on.

When I push the hazard button only the passenger side works.

The first thing I did was check/replace all drivers side bulbs. They looked fine but I replaced them anyways...That did nothing.

Then I checked all fuses that had anything to do with lights...They were all fine.

So I replaced the MFS (multi-function switch). I was sure that was the source...NOPE.

Keep in mind while I'm working on it the signal comes on eventually leading me to believe I've solved the problem(I leave the signal arm down while I'm messing with it). Well I got wise to this so I just turned the key, put the left turn signal down and walked away...5-10 minutes later the signal came on.

She drives the kids around the most so they have to be safe. I need to fix this a.s.a.p.......

Any ides?

CleverName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
About a month ago my wife's left turn signal stopped working properly. The right side is totally fine. Most of the time there is nothing, no blinking no clicking, BUT every now and then it will come on.

When I push the hazard button only the passenger side works.

The first thing I did was check/replace all drivers side bulbs. They looked fine but I replaced them anyways...That did nothing.

Then I checked all fuses that had anything to do with lights...They were all fine.

So I replaced the MFS (multi-function switch). I was sure that was the source...NOPE.

Keep in mind while I'm working on it the signal comes on eventually leading me to believe I've solved the problem(I leave the signal arm down while I'm messing with it). Well I got wise to this so I just turned the key, put the left turn signal down and walked away...5-10 minutes later the signal came on.

She drives the kids around the most so they have to be safe. I need to fix this a.s.a.p.......

Any ides?
You could have corrosion in the faulty lamp sockets giving you an intermittant problem.....clean off contacts with sandpaper or replace the lamp socket.

Also quite common is the earthing of the light socket goes missing...so even if you are getting +12 volts to the bulb...the earth is missing.Try connect a piece of wire direct to the metal ground part of the socket and attach the other end of the wire to a clean exposed chassis point....you can never have too many grounding points.

Finally, all the logic for the turn signals comes from the Hazard Flasher Switch...if all else fails replace this switch.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

image-508706525.jpg

All contacts nice and clean, no corrosion to be seen.
Grounding socket to body didn't work. I don't think it's an issue with bulbs/sockets because all other lights work fine and front signal bulb works with the parking lights.
I'm beginning to suspect the hazard switch is the culprit?
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
USPLiberty

Did you check the fuses and maybe there is a separate turn signal switch/module?
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPLiberty View Post
...maybe there is a separate turn signal switch/module?

You mean besides the hazard switch, which I understand has at least one relay in it?
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
USPLiberty

Checked the big book. It says that the turn signals are "connected in parallel with the other turn signal circuits. This arrangement allows the turn signal indicators to remain functional, regardless of the condition of the other circuits in the turn signal and hazard warning systems." It sounds like each side + hazard is on a separate parallel circuit.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post
i just turned the key, put the left turn signal down and walked away...5-10 minutes later the signal came on.
I tried this a few more times and every time the signal came on by itself after 5-10 minutes.....So weird.
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I would suggest that you try re-plug the connnectors on the hazard switch and then replace it if that does not help.....all the logic for the turn signals is in the hazard switch...apart from a small contribution from the BCM.....flash turn signals when remotely locking/unlocking doors for example. I do not see that the BCM could cause this problem of only one side having a problem.

You can download the Service Manuals for the 2002 KJ here if you do not already have them....about 140 MB....includes circuit diagrams:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Bill.

I ordered a new hazard switch. Found one on the bay for $36....not bad, O'reiley wanted $57
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

UPDATE: It's fixed!

I replaced the hazard switch yesterday and the turn signals work now. Good call bill I hope this thread helps somebody one day. It was a really easy job replacing the switch. Biggest part is removing the radio....simple.

image-575094392.jpg

image-201798834.jpg

image-392951217.jpg
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Glad your up and working.

Billwill - nice job.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
945RR
2002 KJ Liberty 

Old thread....but i think this is what just happened to my wifes jeep. Going to have my wife pick the part up tomorrow....
945RR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.