Strange Brake Issue, ABS? Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Strange Brake Issue, ABS? Please help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
bostonjeep23
2006 KJ Liberty 

Strange Brake Issue, ABS? Please help!

Hey guys,

I have an 06 Liberty with 123,000 miles. Last weekend I was driving it around and was braking down a hill, when all of a sudden the brakes felt like they were slipping and felt as if the ABS was kicking in. The roads were completely dry and I wasn't going fast or skidding or anything. No ABS or brake light or any other light came on while this happened, or after.

Brought the jeep to Midas to have them check out the brakes. Front pads and rotors were fine and the rear rotors and pads were worn out and so I replaced them, although they said this likely wasnt causing what I had described. But since I needed them anyway, figured it was worth a shot.

The day after I replaced them I drove to work (45 minute commute) with no issues in the morning, then drove home. About half way home in light stop and go traffic, I started having the same grinding/slipping of the brakes happen consistently for 5 stops in a row. Still no ABS light or any other light came on during this.

I pulled over and had AAA tow me back to Midas, where of course I could not replicate this for the guy. He said it sounded like an ABS issue, and in the meantime he turned off the ABS by taking out the fuse....

That way, if I drive it around and it happens again we can rule out ABS being the cause. If it doesn't happen, I can have them drive it around with a computer to read codes if they can replicate it.

However, I am just nervous because it doesn't happen always but there is clearly something wrong.

Does any body have any idea what this sounds like it could be? Is it ABS even though the light hasn't come on?

A couple of days prior to all of this, I had turned off traction control so that I could peel out in some gravel/dirt...could that have screwed something up?

bostonjeep23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If I remember correctly the only time the abs light comes on is when there is a code in the system. But you could have a wheel speed sensor dropping out causing the abs to kick in.
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
If I remember correctly the only time the abs light comes on is when there is a code in the system. But you could have a wheel speed sensor dropping out causing the abs to kick in.
Correct, the ABS light only comes on during self-test at every startup, or when a problem is detected in the system.

If a wheel speed sensor dropped out (in the sense that the control unit stopped being able to communicate with it), it shouldn't cause the ABS to trigger. On the contrary, I believe that if the control unit loses a sensor, it disables the ABS and turns on the light. Any time the light is on other than during the short self-test at startup, I believe the ABS system is disabled.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When a wheel speed sensor drops out coming to a stop the abs kicks in because the monitor thinks that one wheel is sliding as if its on ice. So its very possible its a bad sensor
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.