Steering Wheel Squeak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Steering Wheel Squeak

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
02jeepliberty

Steering Wheel Squeak

Every once in awhile when I turn my steering wheel, it squeaks. What is it from, and how do I go about fixing it? Thanks in advanced

02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
Every once in awhile when I turn my steering wheel, it squeaks. What is it from, and how do I go about fixing it? Thanks in advanced

There is a small bearing at the top of the column and a larger one at the bottom of the column...maybe one of them is starting to pack up?

You should put the front end on jacks and try turn the wheel to see if you can locate where the noise is coming from.

These bearings are not available from the Dealers.....they insist that you have to buy the complete steering shaft assembly!

I replaced my top bearing due to the original one seizing up....I bought a bearing 7 mm thick, 37 mm outer diameter, 26 mm inner diameter from a bearing supplier for about $3.00.

You need to remove the complete steering assembly by undoing the universal joint in the engine bay, disconnect the battery so your airbag does not go off and remove the steering wheel, clockspring (make a note of how this comes off...you need to align a flag up in a clear plastic window when putting it back...instructions are on the assembly) and unbolt the mounting bolts.

The inner shaft is held in place under spring tension by some metal clips at the bottom...remove the clips and you can pull the shaft out and inspect the bearings. The top bearing is not a snug fit but is pulled downwards under the spring tension and rides on an "O" ring. Maybe you can re-grease the bearings instead of replacing them!
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill
There is a small bearing at the top of the column and a larger one at the bottom of the column...maybe one of them is starting to pack up? You should put the front end on jacks and try turn the wheel to see if you can locate where the noise is coming from. These bearings are not available from the Dealers.....they insist that you have to buy the complete steering shaft assembly! I replaced my top bearing due to the original one seizing up....I bought a bearing 7 mm thick, 37 mm outer diameter, 26 mm inner diameter from a bearing supplier for about $3.00. You need to remove the complete steering assembly by undoing the universal joint in the engine bay, disconnect the battery so your airbag does not go off and remove the steering wheel, clockspring (make a note of how this comes off...you need to align a flag up in a clear plastic window when putting it back...instructions are on the assembly) and unbolt the mounting bolts. The inner shaft is held in place under spring tension by some metal clips at the bottom...remove the clips and you can pull the shaft out and inspect the bearings. The top bearing is not a snug fit but is pulled downwards under the spring tension and rides on an "O" ring. Maybe you can re-grease the bearings instead of replacing them!
my steering wheel itself squeaks, like it's from the steering wheel.
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
my steering wheel itself squeaks, like it's from the steering wheel.
Remove the bolt holding the steering wheel in place, mark the position of the wheel on the spline so you can fit it back in place and use a two-piece wheel puller to pull off the steering wheel...put a large nut onto the steering shaft so that the puller does not damage the thread.

Hopefully you may see some "scuff" marks somewhere....on second thoughts I believe that the Clock-spring may be your culprit...you can try remove it and put the steering wheel back and see if the noise is still there...remember to disconnect the battery!
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill
Remove the bolt holding the steering wheel in place, mark the position of the wheel on the spline so you can fit it back in place and use a two-piece wheel puller to pull off the steering wheel...put a large nut onto the steering shaft so that the puller does not damage the thread. Hopefully you may see some "scuff" marks somewhere....on second thoughts I believe that the Clock-spring may be your culprit...you can try remove it and put the steering wheel back and see if the noise is still there...remember to disconnect the battery!
Ok, I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.