Starting Problems w/ 2005 Jeep Liberty - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Starting Problems w/ 2005 Jeep Liberty

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotJeep99 View Post
edit: also just wanted to add, fuel pump's job is to pump fuel and not provide pressure. They maybe just changing to get $$ off you. Have them change fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and go from there.
It does still play a role in the pressure somewhat. There is a check valve in the pump assembly that the return line connects on to that will keep the system pressurized when the vehicle isn't running. If that valve gets gunked up and starts acting up and not closing properly, the fuel pump might not be able to prime the system to the proper psi prior to starting. And, if the pump itself is actually failing and not supplying the proper amount of fuel then that could result in starting issues.

dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #17
ghettosled

i love this site. my wife's 2003 liberty is doing the same thing to her. of course it never happens when i drive it! im certainly going to keep tabs on this thread.
ghettosled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
GreenEyes84
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotJeep99 View Post
Maybe just changing the fuel pressure regulator will fix the problem. If your lines are clogged then new fuel filter is good the replace.

How much did they quote you for the job?
$600.00. I have NO CLUE if that's good or not, but at this point, I just want my car back! (And if it is super high, I'm mentally justifying it by remembering that they worked on my car for 3 days and rotated my tires, and didn't treat me like a ******* like most mechanics do lol)
GreenEyes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
GreenEyes84
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
i love this site. my wife's 2003 liberty is doing the same thing to her. of course it never happens when i drive it! im certainly going to keep tabs on this thread.
It took me over 2 years and many, MANY trips to many, MANY mechanics before anyone could even get the car to act up, let alone come up with a diagnosis! Hope this is helpful and saves you some headaches! I'm picking the car up this afternoon. They say that the new fuel pump acts totally differently than the old one, and that they haven't been able to get it to act up since they replaced it, so FINGERS CROSSED, it's finally fixed
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
nolefruit
2005 KJ Liberty 

My wife's Liberty had similar starting problems for the last two days: After driving enough to warm up the engine and then shutting off for a few minutes, when trying to restart, the engine turned over briefly then stalled out as though battery was weak; after several of these tries the Jeep started and ran fine; battery is two years old. Similar problems noted in the JK Wrangler forum suggest the problem may be a bad engine ground. The poor ground would not show up until a heavy current draw -- like the starter motor. Assuming that type of bad ground might be our problem, I added a second ground wire to the engine. This ground wire was a 4 gauge cable (in stock at auto parts store and called "switch to starter" cable -- has the lugs already crimped on) that I ran from the negative battery terminal to the alternator mounting bolt (as engine ground point). I don't know if it solved the problem, but it was cheap ($7.50) and fast (15 minutes) and provides some diagnostic information. In a few days I'll let you know if this fixed the problem.
nolefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
GreenEyes84
2005 KJ Liberty 

Fuel pump replacement seems to have fixed the problem. Everything about the car (and the way it drives) has improved, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will also help my gas mileage out
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
07LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

I had the same problem on hot start-up (last time i had to try three times before it started).
I regapped my sparkplugs turned it on and let it get hot while checking for an antifreeze leak....
Once warmed up I shut it off and restarted it. It restarted right away like it did when I bought it.
I will do a better heat test(driving) but it looks like the spark plugs were the cause.
Spark plugs are cheap compared to fuel pumps and should be the first parts replaced as this is an ignition issue.
07LIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
07LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07LIB View Post
I had the same problem on hot start-up (last time i had to try three times before it started).
I regapped my sparkplugs turned it on and let it get hot while checking for an antifreeze leak....
Once warmed up I shut it off and restarted it. It restarted right away like it did when I bought it.
I will do a better heat test(driving) but it looks like the spark plugs were the cause.
Spark plugs are cheap compared to fuel pumps and should be the first parts replaced as this is an ignition issue.
Yesterday I took the Liberty out for a spin to get it nice and hot and did the warm start test..... It started every time with no issues or excess cranking.
My problem was the spark plugs and I will be changing them as they are getting worn. Regapping the plugs is a good quick fix till they are replaced.
07LIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
rhjaeger

Hot start problem solved.

My 2004 Liberty was hard to start when it was hot, after it sat for a few minutes. It would restart immediately but not on the first crank after it sat a while.

I did the unthinkable and took it to the dealer and he said that the fuel system was not holding pressure and the fix was to replace the fuel pump for $600+ (American). I had them do the job.

So far so good, the problem seems to be gone.
rhjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyes84 View Post
It took me over 2 years and many, MANY trips to many, MANY mechanics before anyone could even get the car to act up, let alone come up with a diagnosis! Hope this is helpful and saves you some headaches! I'm picking the car up this afternoon. They say that the new fuel pump acts totally differently than the old one, and that they haven't been able to get it to act up since they replaced it, so FINGERS CROSSED, it's finally fixed
Whats sad, is for a fuel pump failing like that, even if the symptoms are intermittant, there are simple tests to confirm that problem, without even pulling the fuel tank. A good labscope, that any auto repair facility should own, an amp probe, and a wiring diagram is all you need to verify motor integrity. Now the check valve and fuel pressure bleed down is a different story. Ill see if I have some shots I can post to show what I mean.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

This is a good fuel pump. Nice series of bumps, which is measured in amps, and reflects the actual minute changes in current as the motor turns.
The rest are different fuel pumps that were bad. The last one wouldnt even make enough pressure to start the car. The second and third from the top, you can see unevenness in the ripple, especially the second one, showing a spot on the arm of the motor shorted causing a brief current spike. The fourth one down has a blatant dead spot, and this is the pattern you see on a fuel pump that may work after you have tapped on the fuel tank to jar the motor off the dead spot.

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
hastings79

My 05 liberty with a 3.7 turns over no fuel changed relay to the pump changed crank pos sensor what else would it be if it is the pump can I access it from the top in cargo area or would I have to drop the tank
hastings79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

I had the same problem with my 2007 and it was the spark plugs.
As soon as I changed them the problem went away.
I would suggest that be your first fix as it is very cheap and go from there
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #29
Jeep192005

I have a jeep05 with similar issue - it starts fine in the a.m., but if engine is warm (if i drive jeep for any length of time), and i shut down, and try and restart within 10-20 minutes, the engine just turns over....i've been stuck a few times and only able to get started if i pump the gas pedal, or let it sit for a while and then restart.
i had a fuel pump replaced 1 year ago, and last week the jeep mechanic said i needed a new fule pump (not knowing they had replaced it a year ago)....so they replaced it "for free", post diagnosis cost of $100...but now same issue, even worse. they did poor job diagnosing, i see thru the thread that the fuel "relays" or Regulator or filter if they should have tested those first.....i also wonder if they even replaced the fuel pump, the first time the mechanic needed the tank to be almost empty to make easier, this time they didn't even mention (same place, same mechanic)....this thread has been helpful.
Jeep192005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
nolefruit
2005 KJ Liberty 

I also have an 05 Jeep Liberty 3.7L which is occasionally hard to start when the engine is warm and the Jeep has been setting for 10 to 30 minutes. More than a year ago I installed a heavy battery-to-block ground wire -- but it did not help. (However it took all season to find that out.) The fuel pressure and bleed down rate are fine.
This starting problem is intermittent and generally occurs in spring or fall -- just occurred again. I am suspecting the problem is the gas change-over from summer to winter blend (different volatility) and that the problem occurs when the weather is too inconsistent for one gas type to be appropriate. Warm engines start with difficulty if the gas is too volatile. I can't say why the vehicle is more sensitive than it used to be -- unless it is related to bargain (cheap) fuel.
So, if possible I'll try using fuel without ethanol and see if that helps.
nolefruit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.