Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stalling Issue

807 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GreyWj93 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,
Recently had my 02 kj with the 3.7l V6 (122k miles) stall out at a red light yesterday. Recent maintenance I did was an oil change, spark plugs, coil packs, sea foam treatment through the throttle body and a bottle of cataclean for a catalytic converter below threshold code which cleared instantly :BANANA: all done within 2 months. There was some shaking right before the stall and the radio still had power when the engine stalled so I am doing some research which seems to point at either the fuel filter or the IAC. My battery is about a year old along with an new alternator installed 6 months ago and the RPMs stay within normal range at idle and accelerating. Also want to mention I have a starting issue from time to time where it will take 2 turns to crank over, not sure if its related. This vehicle was purchased pre-owned so I am unaware of the maintenance history. Any input much apreciated Thanks!

#2 ·
Did it have that problem before all your recent servicing? If it didnt, first suspects i would take a look at is your ignition system ie; coil pack/plugs. If it was shaking, sounds like it was starving for one of the 3 main combusters... fuel/air/spark. It may not be the history of the previous owner, maybe just what you serviced. Double check your plugs and check the color(spark), check your intake manifold and see if its gunked (air). Highly unlikely your fuel filter because you havent messed with that. I would start with what you changed/serviced/replaced and go from there[emoji1360] good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
As far as coil packs go I was changing them out as they were failing because the engine kept misfiring and throwing a code. Running the codes showed me which coil pack was bad and needed to be replaced which has been running great since with no CEL. I will check the spark plugs though as see if those fouled

#4 ·
Can a bad catalytic converter cause this stalling issue when coming to a stop? Seems to only happen when the vehicle is running before operating temp. Once normal temp is reached there is no more hesitation or stalling. Also my symptoms are pointing to a faulty crank shaft position sensor. Anyone have a similar issue?

#7 ·
Well I pulled a newbie mistake and did not properly check the transmission fluid on a level ground at first. Ended up having a transmission pan leak from the sealant on the side. Added 4 quarts of ATF+4 and my engine stopped stalling coming to a stop before operating temp. Have new parts on order. Just a conclusion to my stalling issue for anyone with a similar problem. Thank you for the responses!

Attachments

#9 ·
Not a single problem pointing to the transmission which is why I was going through my sensors, checking for vacuum leaks, and battery cca at first. Once I realized the fluid was low and added fluid back in my stalling stopped immediately. Also if you google "low transmission fluid symptoms" stalling will be listed. Maybe as a safety feature to prevent over heating or blowing up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.