Speedo problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Speedo problem

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
USPLiberty

Speedo problem

Any have this problem? My speedometer started to act up, like I was going 120 but actual speed was only 45 mph. The stupid pointer sort of went around past 120mph and is now stuck on the bottom side of the 0 mph "pin". How can I get the pointer back around?

USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPLiberty
Any have this problem? My speedometer started to act up, like I was going 120 but actual speed was only 45 mph. The stupid pointer sort of went around past 120mph and is now stuck on the bottom side of the 0 mph "pin". How can I get the pointer back around?
Most likely your speed sensor on your rear differential. I had the same problem
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPLiberty
Most likely your speed sensor mounted on the rear differential, I had the same problem and had the dealer fix and replace it for about $120
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
USPLiberty

Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Have you tried the cluster self-test to see how the speedo responds?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Jeepguy4276

I agree that it's the vehicle speed sensor. It's an easy job and you can get the part at a good price. I think mine was a bwd at oriely's and only cost $30-40.

The liberty's have a problem with the wiring for the sensor running against the parking brake cable. This causes the to short or break. When you replace the sensor, run some new wire to a better place.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
USPLiberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Have you tried the cluster self-test to see how the speedo responds?
Haven't tried that, how do you self test the instrument cluster? Is there a button?
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

You hold down the button next to the odometer while turning the ignition on (but not starting the engine). All the lights will come on and the gauges will sweep through various preset positions. It might reset the pointer to 0, or it may indicate a problem with the cluster itself.

Looks like this:
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
USPLiberty

Thanks, hitting the self test sent the needle back to the other side of 0. Got to remember that trick. I'll check out the sensor too, it's pretty greasy back there, it might just need a blast from some degreaser.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.