Speed Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Speed Sensor

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
SCACExOFxSPADES
2004 KJ Liberty 

Speed Sensor

Got an 04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L auto. I know I need to change the speed sensor. Problem is, where is it? I know people have said look on the rear diff, which i replaced the sensor and the harness, but that hasn't solved my issue. I've been told that that's just an ABS sensor and the Jeep get it's speed from the tranny. I was told to look on the transfer case, but I can only find the x-case position sensor. Anyone have a diagram specific to my Jeep or know where I can get one? The Haynes manual I have doesn't even list it...

Thanks.

SCACExOFxSPADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
MedicPatriot

Pull the codes at all? I had a mechanic pull my codes for free and it said something like "Left Right ABS/Speed sensor fail". In my 05 that's on the rear diff. I replaced the sensor and wiring too and it still doesn't work. Then I switched the wiring in case I mixed up the pos and neg ends...still doesn't work! Some people say there could also be a dirty tone ring in the rear diff...but I have not investigated this yet.
MedicPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCACExOFxSPADES View Post
Got an 04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L auto. I know I need to change the speed sensor. Problem is, where is it? I know people have said look on the rear diff, which i replaced the sensor and the harness, but that hasn't solved my issue. I've been told that that's just an ABS sensor and the Jeep get it's speed from the tranny. I was told to look on the transfer case, but I can only find the x-case position sensor. Anyone have a diagram specific to my Jeep or know where I can get one? The Haynes manual I have doesn't even list it...

Thanks.

The sensor is on top of the rear diff...it is polarity sensitive so make sure it is wired the correct way around. You may still have a bad connection or broken wire somewhere which you will have to trace. I had a bad connection which I fixed...took about 100 miles of driving before the circuitry was happy and the speedo started working and CEL went out.

The 2005 CRDs have a factory issue where the wrong lubricant was put in the diff...this chewed up the sensor so the dealers would have to replace the sensor and put the correct fluid in the diff....don't know if this applies to any other years/models.

You can download the relevant year KJ Service manual here.....includes circuit diagrams.....the 2003 year model will be close enough to your 2004 KJ.
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
SCACExOFxSPADES
2004 KJ Liberty 

Can't pull the codes because when I had to replace the instrument panel, I started it while it was out to test the first one. I guess after doing that, it popped every code. Either that or it shouldn't be on the road what so ever.
SCACExOFxSPADES is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.