Speaker repair kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Speaker repair kit

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
scottcason
2005 KJ Liberty 

Speaker repair kit

2005 Liberty with the Infinity speakers....passenger side started rattling driving me nuts. I started out looking for a new speaker, but found this and wanted to share it with the forum:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I ordered it. If not, I may order one and see how it works then post a review on here.

Scott

scottcason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Refoaming kits are always the way to go with these speakers. Waste of time and money to get new ones. I used this kit when I repaired mine, http://www.simplyspeakers.com/chrysl...t-fsk-6.5.html. So far have had no issues with it, though I do recomend you do this in a well ventilated room. Glue reminded me of modeling kit glue, which for me meant a massive pounding headache.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
USPLiberty

I fixed my front passenger speaker with that kind of a kit. The factory replacements are expensive and you really can't buy aftermarket speakers because of the built in amp + power to the rear speakers. It's been several years now and they still sound good. $22 bucks shipped
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPLiberty View Post
I fixed my front passenger speaker with that kind of a kit. The factory replacements are expensive and you really can't buy aftermarket speakers because of the built in amp + power to the rear speakers. It's been several years now and they still sound good. $22 bucks shipped
I replaced my speakers with aftermarket and just hooked the new ones up to the built-in amps from the factory speakers... Works perfectly fine. The terminals aren't labeled though, so you gotta test their polarity.

Only thing you have to do really is glue/attach (however you're comfortable with, really) the new speaker to the factory speaker amps.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
scottcason
2005 KJ Liberty 

jbarthol, looks like your foam kit is cheaper than the one I found. I'll go with it.
scottcason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

I got the foam guard for the heck of it, basically felt like elmers glue. Unknown if that stuff actually is elmers glue. Still unknown how well that stuff works as well. When cleaning the old foam off an Xacto number 17 and 18 blade will help, as well as the normal blades. If you don't have those you may be able to get by with a flat head screwdriver. I just had those laying around from my model kit building days.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
dja2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc

I replaced my speakers with aftermarket and just hooked the new ones up to the built-in amps from the factory speakers... Works perfectly fine. The terminals aren't labeled though, so you gotta test their polarity.

Only thing you have to do really is glue/attach (however you're comfortable with, really) the new speaker to the factory speaker amps.
Which speakers did you replace and with what brand and model. Are you happy with the upgrade?? Did you keep Sam head unit? Thanks
dja2097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2097 View Post
Which speakers did you replace and with what brand and model. Are you happy with the upgrade?? Did you keep Sam head unit? Thanks
I got some Pioneer 2-ways (6.5") and I also installed an aftermarket head unit (Kenwood Excelon X-994, but I am upgrading to Pioneer DEH-80PRS because the Kenwood died). I installed a line-remote box so I could use the steering wheel controls. I've also got 2x12" subs in the back with a Rockford Fosgate P1000-1BD, it bumps pretty good

I find it to be a *huge* improvement over the stock system, and quite convenient with Bluetooth. I lost functionality of my 6-cd changer that's in the back, but I never used it to begin with so it's sort of irrelevant.

Tags
2005 , audio , kj , liberty , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.