JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   Speaker repair kit (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/speaker-repair-kit-1562733/)

scottcason 08-15-2013 03:09 PM

Speaker repair kit
 
2005 Liberty with the Infinity speakers....passenger side started rattling driving me nuts. I started out looking for a new speaker, but found this and wanted to share it with the forum:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I ordered it. If not, I may order one and see how it works then post a review on here.

Scott

jbarthol 08-15-2013 05:47 PM

Refoaming kits are always the way to go with these speakers. Waste of time and money to get new ones. I used this kit when I repaired mine, http://www.simplyspeakers.com/chrysl...t-fsk-6.5.html. So far have had no issues with it, though I do recomend you do this in a well ventilated room. Glue reminded me of modeling kit glue, which for me meant a massive pounding headache.

USPLiberty 08-15-2013 05:56 PM

I fixed my front passenger speaker with that kind of a kit. The factory replacements are expensive and you really can't buy aftermarket speakers because of the built in amp + power to the rear speakers. It's been several years now and they still sound good. $22 bucks shipped :)

brendanc 08-15-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USPLiberty (Post 15798663)
I fixed my front passenger speaker with that kind of a kit. The factory replacements are expensive and you really can't buy aftermarket speakers because of the built in amp + power to the rear speakers. It's been several years now and they still sound good. $22 bucks shipped :)

I replaced my speakers with aftermarket and just hooked the new ones up to the built-in amps from the factory speakers... Works perfectly fine. The terminals aren't labeled though, so you gotta test their polarity.

Only thing you have to do really is glue/attach (however you're comfortable with, really) the new speaker to the factory speaker amps.

scottcason 08-16-2013 06:56 AM

jbarthol, looks like your foam kit is cheaper than the one I found. I'll go with it.

jbarthol 08-16-2013 12:44 PM

I got the foam guard for the heck of it, basically felt like elmers glue. Unknown if that stuff actually is elmers glue. Still unknown how well that stuff works as well. When cleaning the old foam off an Xacto number 17 and 18 blade will help, as well as the normal blades. If you don't have those you may be able to get by with a flat head screwdriver. I just had those laying around from my model kit building days.

dja2097 08-20-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanc

I replaced my speakers with aftermarket and just hooked the new ones up to the built-in amps from the factory speakers... Works perfectly fine. The terminals aren't labeled though, so you gotta test their polarity.

Only thing you have to do really is glue/attach (however you're comfortable with, really) the new speaker to the factory speaker amps.

Which speakers did you replace and with what brand and model. Are you happy with the upgrade?? Did you keep Sam head unit? Thanks

brendanc 08-20-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dja2097 (Post 15815447)
Which speakers did you replace and with what brand and model. Are you happy with the upgrade?? Did you keep Sam head unit? Thanks

I got some Pioneer 2-ways (6.5") and I also installed an aftermarket head unit (Kenwood Excelon X-994, but I am upgrading to Pioneer DEH-80PRS because the Kenwood died). I installed a line-remote box so I could use the steering wheel controls. I've also got 2x12" subs in the back with a Rockford Fosgate P1000-1BD, it bumps pretty good :laugh:

I find it to be a *huge* improvement over the stock system, and quite convenient with Bluetooth. I lost functionality of my 6-cd changer that's in the back, but I never used it to begin with so it's sort of irrelevant.


The time now is 03:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.