Spark plugs - torque wrench, or finger tight plus quarter turn? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Spark plugs - torque wrench, or finger tight plus quarter turn?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Spark plugs - torque wrench, or finger tight plus quarter turn?

I'm going to change the plugs in my 2005 KJ for the first time over the weekend - I've always had it done by a garage before. I have the Mopar plugs, and there's a little diagram on the box that seems to be indicating that you should get them finger tight and then a quarter turn with the ratchet.

Is that the best way, or should I use a torque wrench? (I'm assuming that there's a torque spec in the FSM, just haven't looked yet). I'm used to using a torque wrench for plugs, but then I've only changed them on the iron-head 4.0L before, not an aluminium head.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Make sure they are the same model number as that identified on the sticker. I hand tightened them, then a half turn after that.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Georgeandkira

Apologies Ahead of Time....

Hello, Sorry to sound like an authority figure. I'm brand new to Liberties. I've yet to see the plugs; so I'm learning too. Try to find a torque value or other spec for plugs in an aluminum head. The box many spark plugs came in had a pictogram. Plugs with a crush gasket had a quarter turn (90) picture. You could turn them more but why do that? Bevel edged, non-gasketed plugs had an eighth turn (45) picture. Anyone would have to be nuts to go more. I'd make darn sure of any instruction to go a half turn (180) beyond contact; ESPECIALLY in an aluminum head. Like I said, you can crush a washer way-way down if there is one; but why do that? I never had any problem following the 1/4 turn-1/8 turn guideline. Feel free to sign on and call me names. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

This is what NGK instructs to do.
"4. Tighten the spark plug finger tight first until the gasket reaches the cylinder head, then screw about - turn more with a plug wrench. (Conical seat; about 1/16 turn more)."
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

I always snug mine up by hand and then snap my ratchet on the extension and 1/4 turn.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I checked the box again, and it actually says to get the plug finger-tight and then a half- to two-thirds turn with the ratchet. These are the proper (overpriced) Mopar-branded plugs from the dealer.

So I gave them all a half-turn.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Eicas
2006 KJ Liberty 

I use a torque wrench.

Too loose and the plug runs hot from inadequate heat transfer, or may leak, too tight and you damage the internals and throw the gap off. Why take a chance?

I never install a plug without checking the gap, my last new set varied, - so all but 2 had to be adjusted.
Eicas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

I tighten mine by hand with a socket that has an extension attached to it until the plug seats against the head and then I tighten it to specs with a torque wrench.
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Trombino
1978 CJ7 

I believe the FSM says 20 ft. lbs. and don't forget to use some anti-seize compound.
'78 CJ7 -- Chevy 350 SBC, Holley 4-BBL, TH700R4, B&M Performance Shifter, Dana 300 w/ Twin Sticks, 3" Shackle Lift, 3" Body Lift, D30 Front (Disc), AMC 20 Rear w/ Moser 1-Piece, 4.10's, 35x12.50/15 General Grabber MT's, Cragar Soft 8's (15x8 w/ 4" BS)
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.