Spare Key!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Spare Key!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
1st jeep

Spare Key!!

I just purchased my 1st Jeep and I need some information. I have a 2006 Liberty used. It came with only one key. The booklet tells me that I cannot buy a key that has already been programmed to another Lib and program it to mine. Is this actually true? I see I can get a key via ebay but am now unsure about it. Does anyone have a suggestion. It kinda bites that I have one key and three drivers, this could get a little expensive to get a couple of keys from the dealer, $200 a piece.

1st jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
BVCRD

It should cost you around $75 for the programming fee, plus the cost of each blank.
Unread 12-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

$75 to program, holy smokes! If the customer buys the key from us, we don't even charge to program it. The keys aren't $200, The most expensive Jeep key is $134, you can get just a blank to start the car. It doesn't have the transmitter functions, but it has the transponder in it. Usually only around $50 for that one.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
BVCRD

I don't beleive it will start without being programed. The blank will work the door locks. I once bought a Ranger that had been repo'd and only had 1 key. That was the charge for the programming. The salesman split the cost with me.
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
jeep_on

If you only have one key, your kinda SOL. You need to take it to the dealer and they use the DRBIIIt scan tool. It also be require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original SKIM. If you don't have it, look on the original vehicle invoice. If you don't have that, DaimlerChrysler Customer Center should be able to get it for you.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
1st jeep

I agree...Holy Smokes... I see by these responses that I have quite a bit of investigating to continue to do. Anymore info on this subject is greatly appreciated.
1st jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Yes it has to be programmed, the blank I was referring to is like the old SKIM grey key, except it is Taupe in color and works with the new system. Just cheaper thats all.

Yes he will have to go to the dealer to get it programmed since he only has one working key. He could get either the one like he has, or get the Taupe colored one just to use to open the doors and start the car.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Tulsa
2005 KJ Liberty 

Read the manual, my 05 can be programed by the vehicle if you have 2 keys programmed for it. There are sources for th rfid blanks on Ebay that can be cut locally and programmed by you.
Lewis
Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa
Read the manual, my 05 can be programed by the vehicle if you have 2 keys programmed for it. There are sources for th rfid blanks on Ebay that can be cut locally and programmed by you.
Lewis

Read the thread. He only has 1 key!
Unread 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
jeepjeepster

Get on ebay.. Find a key. Get it cut and programmed. be done with it!
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There are a few different keys available (had some cut that started the vehicle but remote didn't work and vise versa) your better off getting a key from a dealership so you know you have the right on and like the dealership Brandon works for if you buy a key from the dealer I work for we don't charge to program it, the 06 KJ needs a Star Scan or Star Mobile to program the key, as well as the key code. When you buy a key for a 05 and later KJ you get a key FOB(remote) for free as we say.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Tulsa
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sorry I missed the info about 1 key.

I believe that our local dealer wants $55 for an rfid key without remote and $25 to program. After that you should be able to program more yourself. I am going to try buying one off ebay having it cut locally and programing it myself. All of us with rfid keys should have a minimum of three in case of loss. Also some remote rfid keys are showing up on ebay.
Lewis
Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Gentleman
2008 MK Compass 

I believe you need 2 working keys to program it yourself

Bob
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
Jstin120
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am trying to get a remote start installed for my wife for Christmas. I went into the dealership today becuase I need another key to have this done.

After he made me show him the title, the guy cut a key and then proceeded to tell me that it will only open the doors. He told me that the only one that will work is the key with the remote attached and that one would be $134. I just walked out.

It sounds from this thread that there is a blank key that can be programmed?
Jstin120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

I'd really like to know the answer to this situation. We need lost a key and need to get another. We bought it new at our dealership so they shouldn't need any more info for us to prove it's ours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.