Sound System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Sound System

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
TheWhiteChip
2007 KJ Liberty 

Sound System

I have an 07 KJ with bad speakers. Has anyone ever put in new speakers, keeping the head unit. If so, what was the specs on those speakers? I'm thinking about a 10" bazooka and some of my pop's GM 3.5"s and 6"s.

TheWhiteChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

I THINK they are 2" tweeters and 6 1/2 for the doors. You plan on using an amp for the bazooka/door speakers?

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteChip View Post
I have an 07 KJ with bad speakers. Has anyone ever put in new speakers, keeping the head unit. If so, what was the specs on those speakers? I'm thinking about a 10" bazooka and some of my pop's GM 3.5"s and 6"s.
Libbys are stock with 6.5s for the doors, and 2in tweets in the dash. Don't waste your money on bazookas. they are a waste of time.

Your best bet is to get a Component system for the front door speakers. now Usually the fronts had small amps attached to the 6.5s, so you may want to save them and reuse them if you get new speakers. Now Jeep did have Kicker 6.5s for this model libby and the wrangler.

The reason that I say keep the amp if it is on the back of the speaker is 2 reasons. 1 you dont have to worry about a crossover, as this is pre-built in to the amp. 2 you will be cleaner power to the speakers.

I would get this for your fronts.
http://www.caraudioco.com/index.php/..._store=default

And for the rear get these for the rear.

http://www.caraudioco.com/index.php/..._store=default

As far as the bass goes. Just get a nice kicker 10" with a nice 1.2 to 1.5 Cubic foot box with a nice 300w Class d Mofett amp and you will be fine.

So use this
http://www.bargainunlimited.net/serv..._a_7cBOX20_d_w
With this
http://www.365salespoint.com/31SAP39057709/
And this
http://www.greengenerationelectronic...wer-amplifier/

And you will be great.
forcrz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
goss112

There's a lot of good suggestions. The front door speakers will have an amp attached. If your looking to add subs using a factory radio I would suggest getting a factory radio amp integration kit. Reason being the factory radio equilizer and sound processing settings are pre programmed to factory speakers if you change to a component set up and sub or subs the bass will distort and give poor sound quality possibly damaging the subs. The cheapest route is replace the factory radio with a good quality radio such as kenwood, alpine, Sony, clarion, pioneer etc. keep in mind you will have to run separate speaker wires with the aftermarket radio to the dash and doors. To avoid needing the factory amp which will short out with the use of a aftermarket radio eventually. I did 2700 watt setup in my kj infinity reference in the dash and doors and two 12" jbl subs in a sealed box the subs are wired to be easily removed and allow the rest of the system to function normally. Have fun and good luck
goss112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goss112 View Post
There's a lot of good suggestions. The front door speakers will have an amp attached. If your looking to add subs using a factory radio I would suggest getting a factory radio amp integration kit. Reason being the factory radio equilizer and sound processing settings are pre programmed to factory speakers if you change to a component set up and sub or subs the bass will distort and give poor sound quality possibly damaging the subs. The cheapest route is replace the factory radio with a good quality radio such as kenwood, alpine, Sony, clarion, pioneer etc. keep in mind you will have to run separate speaker wires with the aftermarket radio to the dash and doors. To avoid needing the factory amp which will short out with the use of a aftermarket radio eventually. I did 2700 watt setup in my kj infinity reference in the dash and doors and two 12" jbl subs in a sealed box the subs are wired to be easily removed and allow the rest of the system to function normally. Have fun and good luck
Well if he does go Aftermarket for the head unit, then he may as well get 1 with more then 1 pre out. I know the unit that I got (DEH-P8400BH) I was able to hook the fronts up no problem as it as 3 Low power RCA outputs.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
forcrz6
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I just bought Four Pyle PLG6.2 6.5" speakers, NEW for $40.00, at a flash sale on one of those deal a day sites.

I already have an aftermarket head unit, and an Awia 80watt home theater Subwoffer on a 300Watt inverter (comes on by Relay with AMP line from radio). All works good, and can't wait to get the Dynamat and speakers installed. I am cutting the leads to the Tweeters in the back, don't need them there... I ran a 50AMP hot wire to the back that has the inverters connected to it. It's not disgusting deafening bass either, the type that you can feel in your chest.

They're not much more than $25.00 a pair anywhere else, but $19.99 a pair with free shipping was the best deal around, for brand new ones.
I just can not get behind Pyle. They really sound horrid, Even compared to stock. They market themselves as "Hi End" for low prices. But really they are junky and will go out extremely fast. I mean when you see a company saying that their 6x9s can handle 300W of power for 30.00 and there are others out there that wont go over 200w for 150, it makes you wonder. Sure they can handle that max 300 for about 2 seconds, but you will be replacing them.

Alpine, Rockford fosgate, hell even sony sound a heck of a lot better then Pyle. Nice crisp highs. non distorted mids, and good deep lows with out flutter. Im just saying that 40.oo would have been better spent on the Alpines.
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
kbrady
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you want to put a subwoofer in the vehicle I would go with infinity highs. The kappa series would be really good but they are a little pricey. The reference series aren't bad to go with. They don't give a lot of bass but they give really good highs. If you want something that has more bass then I would suggest Polk audio. And definitely components in the front doors. As far a a subwoofer I have a single Kicker L7 12" buy a CVR or an L3 would sound good. And in a ported box.
kbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'm using a pioneer headunit, infinity speakers in all doors, with 2 12" Kickers in the back. And a kenwood amp running power to front two speakers + sub. Overall the sound is fantastic my only complaint is that I'm going to have to install something to cut the bass out of my speakers, the kickers are doing all the work haha. I'm still getting use to car audio but it has been a good learning experience.

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
kbrady
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like a good setup but I would get a separate amp for your highs. If you use a four channel for you highs you can turn on the high pass filter so that you dont get as much bass in your highs and then a one or two channel for your subs so you can control the subs and highs independently.
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Hmmm I was thinking just get a high power mono amp for the base and use the current amp for the doors, it's a 2/3/4 channel amp.

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
kbrady
2002 KJ Liberty 

That would work. What kickers did you get?
Unread 03-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

DC12's had a great deal + free shipping. Only down side is that it weighs 70 lbs haha.

Unread 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
kbrady
2002 KJ Liberty 

Those are 300 watts rms combined. They are nice speakers. We put them in cars pretty often at work and they hit pretty good. At work we usually go with the kicker 500.1 amp that we sell. The only thing is that you have to watch where you put the gain and the bass levels at so you don't blow the subs. Or you could just go with a smaller amps then that. But they do sound good

Tags
sound , speakers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.