Something's Amiss and I don't know what!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Something's Amiss and I don't know what!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
CasperJames
2006 KJ Liberty 

Something's Amiss and I don't know what!!!

So a while back my wife wrecked our 2006 Liberty did about $5500 worth of damage to the driver's side front quarter. It worked good for about 4 months or so until 2 months ago it started to get a misfire on cylinder #6 and bad throttle position sensor. I fixed the tps but couldn't seem to get the misfire corrected, changed all the plugs, the coil, ran compression tests, checked injector, none of it was bad but the coil just wasn't getting any spark to it so I figured it was an electrical problem (harness or pcm). I ended up replacing the PCM which got spark back to #6 coil and rid of the cylinder 6 misfire but now the jeep is running even crappier and I have multiple codes, mostly sensors, that the PCM is throwing.

They are as follows:

PO300 random Misfire, PO117 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low, PO112 IAT Low Imput, PO107 MAP Sensor Low Input, PO129 Low Barometric Pressure, PO340 Cam Sensor, PO325 Knock Sensor, PO330 Knock Sensor, PO141 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.

Is it possible that just one could be causing all the problems? I cleared out the codes with the scanner but they come back as soon as I start the car.

Symptoms:

Hard start, rough idle, mad hesitation, temp guage off the charts, will not go over 2500 rpm no matter what.... I am getting a little annoyed by this vehicle any suggestions will be taken with open arms and greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

CasperJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperJames View Post
So a while back my wife wrecked our 2006 Liberty did about $5500 worth of damage to the driver's side front quarter. It worked good for about 4 months or so until 2 months ago it started to get a misfire on cylinder #6 and bad throttle position sensor. I fixed the tps but couldn't seem to get the misfire corrected, changed all the plugs, the coil, ran compression tests, checked injector, none of it was bad but the coil just wasn't getting any spark to it so I figured it was an electrical problem (harness or pcm). I ended up replacing the PCM which got spark back to #6 coil and rid of the cylinder 6 misfire but now the jeep is running even crappier and I have multiple codes, mostly sensors, that the PCM is throwing.

They are as follows:

PO300 random Misfire, PO117 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low, PO112 IAT Low Imput, PO107 MAP Sensor Low Input, PO129 Low Barometric Pressure, PO340 Cam Sensor, PO325 Knock Sensor, PO330 Knock Sensor, PO141 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction.

Is it possible that just one could be causing all the problems? I cleared out the codes with the scanner but they come back as soon as I start the car.

Symptoms:

Hard start, rough idle, mad hesitation, temp guage off the charts, will not go over 2500 rpm no matter what.... I am getting a little annoyed by this vehicle any suggestions will be taken with open arms and greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Whenever you get such a slew of codes, one thing comes to mind to check first, before you do anything else. Check Grounds, all of them. Then, check for shorts to ground on the Vref circuits, or the reference voltage circuits. That would be a starting point. If it all checks fine, then it wasnt a waste, you just ruled something out.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
CasperJames
2006 KJ Liberty 

I will check them tonight and report back, thanks streetglideok.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

PCMs are very model year/VIN specific. Where did you get the PCM and did you take it to the dealer to verify it was flashed with the same version as the old one?
jp7794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
CasperJames
2006 KJ Liberty 

I actually got it from carcomputerexchange.com and they were supposed to program it specifically to my jeep. I gave them the vin, year, engine, exact mileage, and the part number off the old PCM. I am trying to avoid taking it to a dealer because I have spent an awful lot trying to get it fixed and don't really have the extra dough that those guys charge.
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

I understand but I don't think they did when looking at the source of all the codes. I can't think of any one thing besides the PCM that would throw all those codes. It might not be the correct PCM or they may have sold you a defective one. Don't mean to be a downer on this. Hopefully someone else has some more options.
jp7794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7794 View Post
I understand but I don't think they did when looking at the source of all the codes. I can't think of any one thing besides the PCM that would throw all those codes. It might not be the correct PCM or they may have sold you a defective one. Don't mean to be a downer on this. Hopefully someone else has some more options.
Before condemning a pcm, you should always check the powers and grounds, in particular, check for voltage drop. You want less then 0.1V drop on the ground side. Check the reference voltage at the various sensors too. May need a scan tool to verify whats reading wacked, and that the vin programmed into the pcm matches your vehicle.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
CasperJames
2006 KJ Liberty 

Well, I fixed the problem and here's how it went down:

Opened up the mailbox, pulled out a flier "Clunker trade in sale!"

Drove the jeep to the dealership (it fought me most of the way there).

Hashed out a few details, they paid the jeep off in full ($12800) which is more then trade in value and put me into a 2011 Nissan Altima with 12,000 miles for the same payment terms with 1/3 my interest rate and an extension of 1 year.

And yes I informed the dealership of the issues and they even got in it and started it up and ran it and still offered to pay it off in full.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.