Slows down when driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Slows down when driving

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
jeeplibertybrah

Slows down when driving

Hey guys I drive a 06 Liberty. Lately at times when I'm driving and hit the gas pedal my jeep feels like the gas just stops working for a second or two. Almost like I'm running out of gas like it wants to stall and the gas pedal isn't registering. Sometimes this happens when driving straight but I find it happens more during turns. Especially sharp turns. I had my belt recently replaced because I was told it was cracked. Could the stalling be a result of a faulty cracked belt or is it a result of something involving gas. Like gas line, gas tank or fuel injectors? Any Fred back would be great. Thanks guys!!

, Brandon

jeeplibertybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
PoundHipster
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like it could be a fuel pump issue.
PoundHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

How long has it been since you changed the transmission fluid? I ask cause I had a similar sounding situation when I flushed mine, had to rev the engine to 4000rpm to get her to go anywhere. And one turn did stall her out.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
jeeplibertybrah

It doesn't necessarily stall completely. Just sputters a bit and then after a few seconds the gas kicks in and obviously puts me back in my seat lol. I bought this car used a couple years ago so not sure the last time the transmission fluid had been replaced. I'm guessing sometime gas tank, gas pump related. I had an issue a little over a year ago where after a little less then a quarter tank the needle would drop all the way down and the gas light would come on.

Wish I didn't have to spend any money to ensure this problem goes away. It's not a frequent problem either. Just every now and then. Mostly on a sharp turn. Like if I come up to a light and make a sharp quick right turn it starts to slow down until it kicks in again and at that point the slip traction light starts to blink. Maybe that is unrelated to my other issue. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Eicas
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have an '06 that I bought a couple of months ago and it also had some mild drivability problems. Also, I too had no records.

Added some fuel tank injector cleaner, changed and spark plugs (gaped before installing), transmission serviced by a transmission shop, and all the problems went away and mpg went up. Done over a 2 week period.

Also found that the battery had a dead cell and that gave some funny symptom also because of the lower voltage.

Hint, - I also changed the differential/transfer case oil since I had no records, did not affect drivability, but the synthetic stuff I put in upped the mpg a tiny bit, and it looked like it needed to be changed. Also check your air filter & throttle body for cleanliness, - mine needed attention!

Now I am happy,- average 20 mpg per tank, and it is fun to drive, - good luck on yours.

When buying a used vehicle, you have to expect that the previous owner did not have servicing up to date, any money they spent would have been on making it just look better.

I do one change at at a time to and see how it changes rather than shotgunning it with everything at one time. Takes more time, but you then know what works and what to do in the future.
Eicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
jeeplibertybrah

Thanks this helps out! I will try one at a time. I have a three month old and money isn't tight but not readily available. I will keep you posted.
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

First step is to find out what maintenance has not been performed. Plugs every 30k miles, NGK coppers gapped to spec on emissions sticker under the hood. Next, when this acts up, does the tachometer actually drop like it stalling, or is it revving and not moving? One may point to a running issue, the other may point to a trans issue. Important to know, so you know where to look.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
jeeplibertybrah

Drops. The Rpm doesn't keep going it just drops for a couple seconds and then kicks in and puts me back into my seat.
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can likely rule out trans issues for now. You'll need to look at your plugs, etc, and what codes are stored in your pcm. How long has your engine light been on?
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
jeeplibertybrah

It's not the engine light that comes on when I make hard turns its the traction control light that lights up.
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplibertybrah View Post
It's not the engine light that comes on when I make hard turns its the traction control light that lights up.
Ding ding ding. That makes a huge difference to what is going on. Need to check for ABS/traction control codes. If you have a problem in the abs/tcs, it can reduce power from the engine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.