Slight jerk from back end when accelerating hard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Slight jerk from back end when accelerating hard

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Slight jerk from back end when accelerating hard

My 2005 KJ has started making a slight jerk from the back end when you're moving slowly - say about 20-30 mph - and then open the throttle up. There's no wheelspin or noise, just a slight sensation of the back end "catching up" with what the engine is doing. It only lasts a fraction of a second.

Is it likely to be a driveshaft or (gulp) diff issue? It's still on the original rear driveshaft, although the front was replaced about 2 years ago. The trans was rebuilt less than six months ago, so I'm not thinking it's a transmission problem.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
notstuck
1986 CJ7 

Try greasing the spline in your drive shaft, check axle u-bolts, make sure they are tight. Drop the diff cover and inspect the spiders. Remember.... wheel....bend........repair.......repeat.
notstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Cool, thanks. If I open up the diff, what am I actually looking for? Obvious signs of mechanical damage?
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i have a similar thing going on with mine, i think its in the Y link. either the bushings or the ball joint.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
notstuck
1986 CJ7 

Look for the obvious. Also check the pinion yoke. I have spun the pinion on my old cj a couple times. rear diffs are not that hard. Get a manual for youre model of rear/front diffs and tear into it. Pay close att. to torq specs
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

If it turns out to be worn components inside the diff, can you make repairs with the axle on the Jeep? I just don't have the facilities for dropping the axle and working on it off the Jeep. Everything has to be done in the parking lot of my apartment building.
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
notstuck
1986 CJ7 

I am a backyard mechanic at best but yes you have to pull axles to get the guts out Check all mounting points Suspenion bushings and mounts. Sometimes a second pair of eyes helps also. A buddie and a couple beers and look at everything might be something simple. At least I always hope so. good luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.