Skyjacker Lift for 2002 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Skyjacker Lift for 2002 Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Trizae

Skyjacker Lift for 2002 Liberty

Hello to everyone,

This is my first post,,, I have a liberty kind of fall in my lap. I have been reading through this forum for the past couple of days and I'm just about ready to start a mild build on this jeep. It's a 02, 3.7L, Auto w/3.73's I have also had a Skyjacker 2.5 complete kit (including rear shocks) all but fall in my lap as well. I know some of you arent big on the skyjacker, but I can beat the price.

What I'm looking at it doing the skyjacker, clevis, front plates and rear isolators. I'm not opposed to adding the JBA Upper control arms. This Jeep will become the primary hunting/wheeling ride. It may get a bumper in the future,, I'm waiting to add a hitch until Chrysler finalizes what they are going to do about the gas tank recall (it will probably never tow more than a lawn mower to the hunt camp, but I like the idea of being able to use a HitchHaul on it)

What are you thoughts, Will I need to extend the brake lines? What about the CV Axles,,, I'd like to be able to run a true 31" tire, probably on the stock steel wheels and i would want an LT (Probably LT235/85R16,, I like Tall/Skinny)

What else should I plan to do,,, This Jeep is completly stock, One owner w/97,000 miles and belonged to a school teacher

This is a great group,,, I've been a member of the Turbo Diesel Registry for over 10 years and put an extreme value on this groups

Thanks

Trizae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey welcome aboard. If you use the search function, there is plenty of criticism about skyjacker lift kits for the KJ. Remember, you get what you pay for with some things, and this is one of them. You get a kit that may be cheaper than an OME kit, but how long will it really last? Tommudd will be along in a bit, he is the KJ lift guru.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The only issue with the SkyJacker lifts now is the coils,the same rate as stock coils just longer.Sadly SkyJacker used to be the best,and most complete, out there before they went to the "soft ride" coils.Only the 1st 6 months of production of the SkyJacker lifts had the HD coils rated above even OME's HD coils and I ran that early SkyJacker lift on a very heavy KJ(5500lbs) with no sag in 47,000 miles before I went SFA.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

What TJKJ stated
PLUS if wanting to run 235-85-16s which are really a 32 inch tire you'll need at least 4 inches of lift
plus the JBA Upper control arms
THEN, add in regear front and rear
If not its going to suck gas, be low on power, run hotter due to the transmission searching for the right gear etc.
As far as the Skyjacker well it'll work for a while I guess but yep will sag due to weak coils in front
Rated at 320 lb, compared to OME 927 HDs at 400 lb rating
Oh and with a bumper possibly in the future you will indeed need heavier front coils
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Trizae

I know the 235/85/R16 measure 31.7 but the are pretty skinny,,, I wouldn't think they'd rub,,,,

Most 3.7l's seemed to be 3.55 geared, and if that was the case with mine, I'd plan on gearing,,,, but I'd think with 3.73 that it might be okay, especially if I recalibrate the speedo so the transmission really knows what's going on,,,,

What about the combination of the skyjacker withe the clevis, and top plate/spacer? I guess I'll just need a couple isolators for each side of the rear.

What the largest size spare tire that can be run w/stock tire carried and stock rear bumper?
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizae View Post
I know the 235/85/R16 measure 31.7 but the are pretty skinny,,, I wouldn't think they'd rub,,,,

Most 3.7l's seemed to be 3.55 geared, and if that was the case with mine, I'd plan on gearing,,,, but I'd think with 3.73 that it might be okay, especially if I recalibrate the speedo so the transmission really knows what's going on,,,,

What about the combination of the skyjacker withe the clevis, and top plate/spacer? I guess I'll just need a couple isolators for each side of the rear.

What the largest size spare tire that can be run w/stock tire carried and stock rear bumper?
OK ya ask for advice and then .............................
I've had mine since 2004 when bought new, TJKJ since 02 , we've both done a lot of lifts, not sure how many he has done but I've been involved in close to 30 just on KJs . 23 in my garage with another one Friday, so have a pretty good idea of what works, what fits, what doesn't etc . Plus I work pretty closely with JeepinByAl in getting new lifts etc out on the highways so.........oh and even have one lift with my name on it.
MOST all automatic 3.7s are 3.73 geared , not 3.55s manual trans etc were 3.55s
With 3.73s / 31s or 32s you'll lose a lot of power trust me I ran for a couple of weeks after installing 32s and hated to drive mine. Plus mileage dropped about 4-5 MPG
Sure you can add extra top plate for 1/2 inch lift, and a clevis BUT once you start doing that you'll also need JBA UCAs since you'll need them to do an alignment correctly and also spring/ UCA contact
You can run a 32 on the carrier but its a lot of weight back there
Also a 32 inch tire on stock wheels will rub on the inner fender behind the fog lights, will rub on the pinch weld ( easy pound over) and will rub the sway bar when turning
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Trizae

Is there much difference between thee skyjacker rear stuff and the OME rear,,,, if I can buy the entire skyjacker kit including rear shocks for less than the OME rear springs would that be the way to go?
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You could, if you can get a good enough deal
I've had a couple of folks who did the fronts ( after running a Daystar in the front for a couple of months) keep the rear, sit the front up correctly, then a couple of months later do the rear
Its a good option.
Just from experience the front will sag with the later model Skyjackers so with a good spring/ shock setup in the front you'll be way happier in the long run. Less time and money wasted really
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Trizae

Here's the deal with the skyjackers stuff,,, I'm the fleet/commercial sales manager for a CJDR dealership. Evidently, we ordered the skyjacker kit LIB250, LIB250R and H7088 shocks several years ago for either a customer or for one we were going to do for the lot. I think we have either written the parts down, or totally written them off,,,, I was talking about the liberty with one of the tech's and he remembered some talk about lifting one and that he thought we had the lift,, confirmed with parts guy then put my hands on them, new, never opened. I'll have a price tomorrow.

Here my big question, I understand every lift combination is going to be different, but when will I need to go with new UCA and extended brake lines, cv shafts, etc.

I'd like to have a tall skinny tire and I like to run the stock steel wheels, even if I need to run spacers, is anyone running LT215 or LT225/85R16's.

If 245/70 is what I need to stick to I will. I'm looking for the most capability for the buck.
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

There is a guy on the KK side (drednot) that runs 215 85 16 and loves them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.