Shopping for 2005/06 Liberty CRD. What do I need to know? :) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Shopping for 2005/06 Liberty CRD. What do I need to know? :)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Brody21

Shopping for 2005/06 Liberty CRD. What do I need to know? :)

Hey guys,

I'm shopping for my first Jeep ever and although it's pretty exciting I'm starting from scratch and don't know much about these cars.

Would welcome any inputs, recommendations and comments you might have concerning the 05/06 CRDs.

1. First anything you might consider important for me to know about these cars like what to look out for, things in particular to check for or test out when I'll be trying out vehicles, weak points I should know about these vehicles, etc.

E.g. I've read about recalls of the Control Module, Torque Converter and Blower Motor.
Also read about the transmission being one of the weak points. And some people experimenting overeating issues.
Any comments, inputs or other potential issues to look out for?

2. I'd also would appreciate your thoughts concerning a 2005 vs 2006 CRD. I was really looking to find a '06 but I've found an interesting '05 at a fair price (120K miles). Do you think it makes any difference at this point 8-9 years later or it's all about how the vehicle has been used and maintained?

Anything in particularly different the two iterations have that could be significant?
For instance I read somewhere the 2006 improved the overeating issues people were having?

3. Is it true the upgraded torque converter from Jeep's recall lowers the towing capabilities of the car?

That's about it for now.
Would really appreciate your help!

Brody21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
nbwajdr
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ive had an 05 CRD for about 2 years. I bought it with about 75,000 miles. It now has 118,000. I tow a 3600lb travel trailer. No tranny or tc problems. Ive cleaned the MAF sensor twice. I had the glow plugs changed ftom the old ceramic to the newer stainless ones. I replaced the turbo hoses with silicon aftermarket hoses because of a low boost engine check light. No real problems except for that. When towing, my only complaint is that the tranny sometines won't hold the gear I need on a long uphill. Good rig. I plan to keep it. The torque is awesome and diesels sound great. Also, I've been burning b20 or b99 since I got it.
nbwajdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Brody21

Hey thanks for your answer.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say the transmission won"t hold the gear on a long uphill?

I plan to put a travel trailer on there weighting 4500-5000lbs and was expecting the Diesel engine to do that no problem.

Any comment on the upgraded/recalled torque converter that might reduce tow strength?
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
jrsobx
2005 KJ Liberty 

Find one that has had the water pump replaced. That can be an expensive repair which will need to be done at some point.
jrsobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
6.5kev
2005 KJ Liberty 

Pulling a 5000 lb trailer might be asking a lot. Mine pulls our motorcycle/cargo trailer great. With our 4500 pound boat it works some but we have some pretty good hills in Montana. You would probably need to use the "OD off" button and stay out of top gear. That keeps the top speed I'm comfortable with to 55 mph.
6.5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Brody21

Thanks guys for the input.
Very appreciated.

If anyone has other tips or thoughts about a 2005 vs. 2006 it would be very much appreciated.
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

05's have fewer computer nannies than the 06's. Be sure and do an in depth check on any CRD you look at.Get a VIP report from a dealer. It will tell you any repairs done at a dealer since it was sold new. You will need the VIN to do this.

If at or over 100K miles on any CRD, check to see if the timing belt and all other needed items have been replaced!! Parts and labor would be over $1500 if it has not been done. EGR's were prone to failing quite often. A GDE tune eliminates that and adds a ton of nice enhancements. If you see any drips at the oil drain plug, it has been over tightened. There is only about 3 or 4 threads for the plug to snug up to, on the aluminum pan.

Check to see if the turbo hoses have been replaced. The originals did not have a good life span before failing. Just a few things to look for.

Happy hunting.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.