Shocks bad already? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Shocks bad already?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
gcotterl
2004 KJ Liberty 

Shocks bad already?

I hear creaking and groaning sounds and it feels like everything under my 2004 Liberty is about to fall off when I drive over speed bumps, railroad tracks and rough pavement.

In the past 2 years, I've had the following work done.

12/09/2011 - 4 new tires installed

12/31/2011 - 2 Monroe shocks and 2 Monroe struts installed

03/27/2012 - New coil springs with 1-inch lift installed

Could the 11-week "gap" between having the new tires installed and having the new coil springs installed have contributed to the current creaking and groaning sounds?

================================================== ======

In 12/01/2012, I had "complete" maintenance done which included:

TRANSMISSION FLUSH
ROTATE TIRES
REPLACE SPARK PLUGS
REPLACE SERPENTINE BELT
REPLACE PLASTIC TENSIONER & IDLER PULLEYS
REPLACE PCV VALVE
OIL CHANGE AND FILTER
INSPECT HOSES, ETC
INSPECT BALL JOINTS
FLUSH POWER STEERING SYSTEM
DRAIN AND REFILL TRANSFER CASE
DRAIN AND REFILL FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIALS
COOLANT FLUSH
CHANGE TRANSMISSION FLUID & FILTER
CHANGE TRANSFER CASE FLUID
BRAKE INSPECTION
BLEED BRAKES

gcotterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

First what coil springs did you go with ? OR what lift did you use?
And you used the Monroe shocks with new springs, yes only a couple of weeks but if your springs were really sagged it could of put extra stress on them until you install the new ones
Have you checked your sway bar bushings? They will make noise when it starts getting colder , need to replace with stock or sometimes just taking them out and cleaning the first out will take care of any noises
Start there
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Kudos for keeping and sharing maintenance records when you have a problem. It sounds like you take care of the baby, or try to. I'd tend to agree with swaybar bushings. Mine currently make noise, I just ignore them for the time being,lol. They'll make a crunching like sound anytime the front suspension is moving up and down together, ie speed bumps and railroad tracks. Can lube them with silicone spray, or just replace them. I also see another issue. You installed lift springs, and lifted the vehicle? Monroe's mainstream shock and strut, the sensatrac, is picky about ride height. If you are over stock height, it will cause it to be overly soft, when it should be firm, and too firm when it should be soft. Not a good choice for altered suspension systems.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
gcotterl
2004 KJ Liberty 

I replaced the OEM tires (Goodyear SR-A) with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires (same size) mounted on the OEM 6-Spoke Factory Alloy Wheels.

I replaced the OEM rear shocks with Monroe Sensa-Tracs 37203 shocks

I replaced the OEM front struts with Monroe Sensa-Tracs 71577 struts

I replaced the OEM front coil springs with Old Man Emu (OME926) coil springs (0-150LBS - Medium)

I installed an Old Man Emu 1-1/2" lift kit.

Note: The measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the wheel wells are now:
right front - 20 1/4"
left front - 20"

but the tires contact the plastic wheel-well liners when I turn the wheels hard to the right and left.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'd address the sway bar bushings, spray some lube on them and see if it goes away. That'll confirm the source of the problem. As I said before, sensatracs are ride height dependent to work properly, to get the best ride possible you need better shocks.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
gcotterl
2004 KJ Liberty 

I took my Liberty to the dealer but they could NOT duplicate the problem but they checked "EVERYTHING everything" and found nothing wrong (no broken parts, loose parts, worn parts, knocking parts, etc).

I then took my Liberty to my tire shop that installed the tires, shocks and struts, coil springs and lift kit. They were able to duplicate the problem and they replaced the sway bar bushings and the problem is GONE!!!
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
USPLiberty

The front sway bar bushings make a lot of "rubbing" noises when the weather turns cold. I sprayed some silicone spray on them years ago and they are pretty quiet now.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.