Shifting problems after towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Shifting problems after towing

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
trockwell
2004 KJ Liberty 

Shifting problems after towing

I am towing a 2004 Liberty Sport manual tranny behind my RV. First time doing this. I am finding that after a long day (say 450 miles maybe a bit more) that when I unhook, the Liberty has trouble shifting; especially into first or reverse. It feels like I am trying to force my way through a spinning gear, and if I try to muscle it into gear it will grind. Sometimes the other gears don't work smoothly either, and I have to try and match RPMs and road speed to try and do what amounts to an unclutched shift. I don't think it is the clutch at all because clutching works to let the jeep sit there in any gear without trying to move. This all seems to settle down after I drive a ways and work my way through the gears a time or three. Would love input.
Thanks

trockwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How are you towing it,
all 4 flat on the ground or front two on a dolly?

2 or 4 wheel drive?
if 4 wheel transfer case in neutral or ??

Little bit more info would help us to maybe determine what the issue maybe
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
trockwell
2004 KJ Liberty 

Sorry,
Flat towing a 4 wheel drive manual transmission with the transmission in gear and the transfer case in neutral. Before reading here, I was towing in any gear except reverse, but now I am being consistent and towing it in 4th. I did tow it one day for about 300 miles with the transmission AND the transfer case in neutral.
trockwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grinding , shifting , towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.