Sagging Suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Sagging Suspension

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Ike1947
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sagging Suspension

My 2005 Liberty (V-6, 4WD) has about 70,000 miles. It had a 2" lift kit installed before I bought it. I am the usual driver and, no surprise, am heavier than my wife. The Jeep is leaning toward the driverside. I am surprised at this as none of my other vehicles are doing it and they are all older with more miles. Is it the springs or just the lift kit? Can I change the offending parts on just the driveside or do have to swap them all out? What special tools will be needed? Thanks. We love the Jeep, just want it to go down the road straight.

Ike1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

First what kind of lift? If spacer then its normal since they actually speed up the sagging process. If full spring then could be a number of things.
Also the KJs/KKs do tend to sit a little low on the drivers side to begin with
What does it measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare on both sides
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Ike1947
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sagging Springs

It appears that the lift kit is inserts. With all the tire pressures the same, from the fender flare to the ground is RF 34 9/16", LF 33 7/8", RR 34 1/8th, LR 33 1/2". Is it possible or advisable to swap the spacers from left to right? What is a good source of replacement springs/spacers?
Unread 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike1947 View Post
It appears that the lift kit is inserts. With all the tire pressures the same, from the fender flare to the ground is RF 34 9/16", LF 33 7/8", RR 34 1/8th, LR 33 1/2". Is it possible or advisable to swap the spacers from left to right? What is a good source of replacement springs/spacers?
Those measurements tell us nothing at all since measuring that way is all dependent on tire size.
You measure from the middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare ( as mentioned before) to get the measurements.
For example a 2 inch lift would measure 21 inches ( stock being 19 inches )

Good aftermarket springs are OME or Ironman
Good aftermarket shocks are OME, Ironman or Bilstein
good places to buy www.jeepinbyal.com
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

+1 to that. 79k miles on my KJ, and just finished my initial lift(it never really ends). I'm at 22" or about, in front and back with mine. It rides so much better than it did before. There is no more bottoming out, etc. like there was before.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Ike1947
2005 KJ Liberty 

My bad. The right side is 20 3/4" and the left 20 1/8th. Do I need to replace the lift kit or springs or both? There is a NAPA nearby my home that I could get springs from without have to wait very long. I assume I will have to rent/borrow a spring compressor.
Unread 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I would replace the spacer lift that they used, and start over. You'll end up with a solid 21-22" lift that will ride loads better. JBA has spring and shock kits for $762 plus shipping. Just need some hockey pucks for the bump stops in the rear, and the teraflex bumpstops up front, if they haven't already been done. You won't need a compressor for the rears, however up front you will, or take the new springs and shocks to a repair shop and ask them to swap them. They may do it pretty cheap, and fast, and save you some risks of a spring slipping in a compressor. 70k miles your shocks are worn flat out. I had 78k on mine at the time of work, and though they seemed similar to the new shocks in performance on the floor of the shop, test driving afterwards confirmed that 5500lbs bouncing down the road can really stress a shock. New shocks control the bouncing so much better. You can't go off of how many times it bounces after a bump, you need to look at the speed of travel of the suspension when it hits the bump. In the case of a worn out shock, the suspension travels much faster, hitting the bump stops, wearing the springs out faster, and resulting in a poor ride.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

What he said
just replacing the springs would be a waste of money at this point
start over with aftermarket suspension which will hold up a lot longer than the stock ever did

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.