Rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rough idle

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
timhutchins

Rough idle

I need to pick your brains for this one. I have a 2002 Renegade with a 3.7L with approx. 135k. One day it started running rough like it was missing real bad. While trying to accelerate, it started shuddering and hesitating with a severe lack of power. The Check Engine light came on. After stopping and checking that the engine was still there, I was able to start it back up and drive it home with no problems. I was able to read a P0304 "cylinder 4 misfire" code. Since then, I have replaced the #4 coil pack, all spark plugs (champion copper) crank position sensor, cam position sensor, IAC valve, the battery, and the #4 injector. I also replaced the fuel pump and filter, completely cleaned out the tank. It only runs rough when it is started cold. After the engine is warmed up and is allowed to be shut off, then when it is restarted it runs very smooth and with plenty of power. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

timhutchins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Someday, I will get my Cherokee back! LOL!

Last edited by 56Mercgal; 09-04-2013 at 10:57 PM..
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Silly02Jeep
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do a compression test and look in particular at the #2 cylinder. The early 3.7 engines drop a valve seat (mine was the intake) in the #2 cylinder around 138K.
Silly02Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Silly02Jeep
2002 KJ Liberty 

Also pull out the intake air temp sensor and see if there is any oil on it. Cleaning it off either way will only help you.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Silly02Jeep
2002 KJ Liberty 

One other thing, when I took my head off to find the cause of my engine's "death" I found alot of carbon on the pistons and the inside of the head. Get the carbon removed and you could avoid alot of headaches!

Tags
check engine light , p0304 , rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.