Rough Country 3" Lift Kit - Jeep Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rough Country 3" Lift Kit - Jeep Liberty

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
ericrb76
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rough Country 3" Lift Kit - Jeep Liberty

The last thread got rather polluted with online egos so here is a quick summary

Rough Country 3" Lift Kit - cost about $300 shipped to your door.

Includes the follow;
rear springs
rear shocks
front spacers made out of aluminum

What they don't tell you is that you need to install longer brake lines or fabricate spacers to move the brake lines down.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...589570#p589570

After you install the spacers the geometry of the front end is an absolute disaster, the stock upper and lower control arms are almost vertical so I can imagine that the vehicle will be prone to ball joint and bushing wear/replacement.

The finishing touch is that you cannot properly adjust the camber on the front end, after taking the Jeep to a shop that specializes in truck and has an electronic alignment machine they best they could do was each side 3 degrees out of range. So the Jeep will also require frequent tire rotation and replacement.

After reading this, if you haven't reach a conclusion I will give you one, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS POS LIFT KIT!

ericrb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

If I were you I would try and return that lift to Rough Country and see if you can get a refund...
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Returned your PM Eric
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
ericrb76
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Returned your PM Eric
Tommudd thanks for the input.

This is actually not my Jeep, it is a friend of mine. She is well aware of the short comings of this lift kit however I think she intends on leaving it installed until she gets the money to do a proper suspension modification.

You get what you pay for!
ericrb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
jersey06tj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ok i am new here and am trying to figuer this one out everyone says that the RC is junk and should use something like the OME lift witch is longer struts and springs the RC lift use's a block to lift it. here's what i dont get is with both lifts your pushing both the LCA/UCA down to get lift witch the way i look at it is going to put your ball joints in a bad angle either way so how is one better than the other both type's push the control arms down to gain lift. also how would using the RC lift cause your springs to wear out or burn the struts out your not adding extra weight to the front end? this is just the way i am looking at it and something else to think about if someone could tell me why the RC lift is so bad other than its cheap and junk that would be great
jersey06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Jersey

Well to start the springs are already sagged out if you have over 40,000 miles on your KJ
So adding a spacer type lift at this point put increases pressure on the springs and yes they will wear out faster
Plus the RC lift is just a plain bad idea from the get go
UPGRADING .....the springs and shocks will give you a much better ride/ better handling and overall better performance in the long run
I have personally ran OME springs to 100,000 miles and then upgraded mine again with the old set on another KJ . So far mines been lifted over 150,000 miles with no other problems associated with using lifted springs and shocks
BY the way we don't have struts in front PLUS they are not longer/ stock length in front , rear yes the shocks most of us use are about 2.25 inches longer for more flex
If you read on here / LOSTJEEPS/KJCOUNTRY etc you'll find hundreds and hundreds of posts where people have tried to go cheap and 3 months later have gone the full coil / shock replacement way and can't beleive the difference
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
jersey06tj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i am just wondering thats all its not my KJ its my wifes i drive a TJ. as for my wife's KJ i have put brand new SHOCKS in the front and springs. i only ask because everyone says that it will kill the ball joints and it just dont make any sense to me because either way you go you are still pushing the control arms down thus changing the angle of the ball joints. the way i see it is unless you change out the control arms your still going to kill the ball joints. i mean am i right in thinking this way i am not trying to go cheap heck i would sell the kit in a second i havent installed it yet i am just trying to understand why this lift would kill the ball joints and not the OME please help me understand this
jersey06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
mudslingernick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrb76 View Post
The last thread got rather polluted with online egos so here is a quick summary

Rough Country 3" Lift Kit - cost about $300 shipped to your door.

Includes the follow;
rear springs
rear shocks
front spacers made out of aluminum

What they don't tell you is that you need to install longer brake lines or fabricate spacers to move the brake lines down.

After reading this, if you haven't reach a conclusion I will give you one, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS POS LIFT KIT!
I have installed some kj lifts in the past( bds, roughcountry, daystar and the great frankenlift). The daystar lift was the worst, imo. The only kit that mentions the rear brake line spacer is the ome/frankenlift. I have watched the bds be wheeled on a montly basis with no issues at the rear brake line. The bds was nice with the new front springs, and the rough country is a decent lift with new rear springs and the front spacers that do not get compressed by the spring, but got under the coil over set up. The frankenlift was the nicest lift the one i had installed came all pre assemble and went together great. As fall as ball joints go any ifs lift will put more wear on the suspension. The JBA upper controls are the best way to go with any of the lifts.
76 J-20
mudslingernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

As far as rear brake line extension
it depends on what year you have , not which lift kit , anyhting after 05 you need the extension which takes you 3 minutes to fab one up
As far as Frankenlift goes yes its OK
But not any better than just a OME kit
it comes preassembled so makes it easier is about it
You can get as much lift from just the OME kit and a few extras
Of course I've only installed OME/Frankenlift/Ironman/ BDS
and REMOVED lots of junk spacer lifts on KJs and KKs
As far as BDS, I'll stay with OME much better lift plus with BDS you have to get your own front shocks and the rear ones they provide are pretty cheap
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
mudslingernick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
As far as rear brake line extension
it depends on what year you have , not which lift kit , anyhting after 05 you need the extension which takes you 3 minutes to fab one up
As far as Frankenlift goes yes its OK
But not any better than just a OME kit
it comes preassembled so makes it easier is about it
You can get as much lift from just the OME kit and a few extras
Of course I've only installed OME/Frankenlift/Ironman/ BDS
and REMOVED lots of junk spacer lifts on KJs and KKs
As far as BDS, I'll stay with OME much better lift plus with BDS you have to get your own front shocks and the rear ones they provide are pretty cheap
agreed.
76 J-20
mudslingernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey06tj
i am just wondering thats all its not my KJ its my wifes i drive a TJ. as for my wife's KJ i have put brand new SHOCKS in the front and springs. i only ask because everyone says that it will kill the ball joints and it just dont make any sense to me because either way you go you are still pushing the control arms down thus changing the angle of the ball joints. the way i see it is unless you change out the control arms your still going to kill the ball joints. i mean am i right in thinking this way i am not trying to go cheap heck i would sell the kit in a second i havent installed it yet i am just trying to understand why this lift would kill the ball joints and not the OME please help me understand this
I have the rustys lift with added top plate spacer and i love it on my kj it bolts right on top the factory coil over/ strut other ppl call it diff things any ways my ride is great it stiffing a lil bit but i wanted the the rear spacers were sketchy at firat when i seen then but sitting on 205xxx miles now ive had no issues. I will say i dont offroad as much as alot of these guys either so they may have a beyter perspective but from my exsperience if you dw spend a grand on a lift and want something reliable go with rustys THATS MY OPINON info on mine is its an 02 libby sport with alot of miles n alot of lifted miles at that and im running 32s yes my front fenders are slightly trimmed but i love my lift
scjeep69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjeep69 View Post
I have the rustys lift with added top plate spacer and i love it on my kj it bolts right on top the factory coil over/ strut other ppl call it diff things any ways my ride is great it stiffing a lil bit but i wanted the the rear spacers were sketchy at firat when i seen then but sitting on 205xxx miles now ive had no issues. I will say i dont offroad as much as alot of these guys either so they may have a beyter perspective but from my exsperience if you dw spend a grand on a lift and want something reliable go with rustys THATS MY OPINON info on mine is its an 02 libby sport with alot of miles n alot of lifted miles at that and im running 32s yes my front fenders are slightly trimmed but i love my lift
While the Rusty's coil lift is not bad it's far from good since the coils are only rated the same as OEM coils,which will sag fast,more so if you start adding armor.OME gives you 4 front spring rate choices and 2 rear spring rate choices to compensate for added weight from armor.
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I have installed one Rustys full spring lift
tried to talk the guy out of it
but thats what he wanted so on it went
2 years and 20,000 miles later it had sagged from almost 3 inches of lift to just over an inch and he wondered why his tires were rubbing ???
Plus rear shocks didn't make it a year even had to be replaced
Wouldn't install Rustys on my little red wagon
My first OME lasted just a little over 100,000 miles with hardly any sag, and its now on another KJ
Current OME lift has over 50,000 on it with no sag at all
Buy a good lift and save money in the long run

Also where does everyone keep coming up with spending a grand on a lift??? confused everytime someone writes that IT DOES NOT cost that much to lift one right
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
I have installed one Rustys full spring lift
tried to talk the guy out of it
but thats what he wanted so on it went
2 years and 20,000 miles later it had sagged from almost 3 inches of lift to just over an inch and he wondered why his tires were rubbing ???
Plus rear shocks didn't make it a year even had to be replaced
Wouldn't install Rustys on my little red wagon
My first OME lasted just a little over 100,000 miles with hardly any sag, and its now on another KJ
Current OME lift has over 50,000 on it with no sag at all
Buy a good lift and save money in the long run

Also where does everyone keep coming up with spending a grand on a lift??? confused everytime someone writes that IT DOES NOT cost that much to lift one right
I read up on another thread about a "crappy" spacer lift and some one was putting the cost of coils shocks boiler shim etc etc etc and it equaled from 800 to a grand depending on what you choose. And im not argui g or anything thats just what ive been reading on this forum. I take your word for what you say you know your stuff i jw to loud my experience with the rustys lift and i was satisfied. Im sure if i wheeled mine thru rocks and mountians and flexed her out everyday she would sag but i live in flat land most of my wheeling is mud and trails so my use of the lift maybe diffrent then yours which gives you a reason to have a diff opinion aswell
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

While the Rusty's coil lift is not bad it's far from good since the coils are only rated the same as OEM coils,which will sag fast,more so if you start adding armor.OME gives you 4 front spring rate choices and 2 rear spring rate choices to compensate for added weight from armor.
I agree added wiegjt will make anything sag but i dont have the added weight that maybe why my experience with rustys was better then yours.

Ive ran both rough country n rustys on my cherokees and loved them as well for the use i put them thru n service was great
Blew out my rear shocks due to over flexing and not ext. My bump stops call rc they had me all new shocks in 3 days and said that mayhave been there problem even tho i told them how i done it:

I want to do an ome lift one i get the money up or even a jba 4in but until then my rustys lift is serving his purpose

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.