Rotor removal 2007 jeep liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rotor removal 2007 jeep liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
youngatheart1

Rotor removal 2007 jeep liberty

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty and I cannot seem to take the rear rotor off for some reason. It seems very simple according to the Haynes manual. I removed the caliper and released the hand brake. I keep hammering at the rotor but all I can see is that I could see a quarter inch gap opening between the rotor and the hub but it still won't come off. Since I could wiggle the rotor, I don't think it is the rust that is holding it. I did want to force it a more.
The manager at the autopart store says that the rotor backing plate has a rubber cap that needs to be removed to access a pinion to turn and release the parking brake fully before taking the rotor off. He thinks the parking brake is holding the rotor on even though I have already release the parking brake lever located inside the car. When I took the rubber cap out, all I could see is a spring and no pinion to release the parking brake.
Does any have any experience in removing the rotor on a 2007 liberty? I would really appreciate you help. Thanks

youngatheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yep sounds like the parking brake shoes still holding the rotor on.Need to do as that guy stated,remove rubber plug on back side and turn the star wheel to further loosen the parking brake shoes.
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

Agreed, but what you are going to find is that the star wheel (pinion if you wish) will not move because it has never been adjusted before. It is siezed with rust.
On my 06 that is what happened. I had to pound on that rotor so hard that the rim (friction surface part) separated from the hub part that has the five stud holes in it. That was fine because the rotors were warped anyway.
Here's what I had to do to get mine off.

My mechanic said to have someone apply the brakes hard, pinch off one of the rear hydraulic lines at the wheel then release the brake pedal.

Now start the Jeep (your on a hoist by the way, I have access to one) Now just the one rear rotor will be spinning. Your buddy is on the gas pedal to keep it moving. Now start pounding the snot out of the rim of that rotor. As the rotor starts to come off it will hit the rusty ridge and may stop rotating. Pound it back on, get it revved up again, and try again over and over untill finally that ridge is worn down enough that that final hit will allow it to come off.

Now, what I found after all that, is that the force required to get those rotors off pulled the friction material off the e-brake shoes so they were toast, and all that mounting hardware for the shoes was seized solid with rust.
If you could back off the star wheel shoe adjusters in the first place I would not have needed to go through all the preceeding grief.

Anyway I never use the emergency brake on any car so I left out the e-brake parts, silicone sealed the holes and am carrying on with my life.

Last edited by Clockworkorange; 12-23-2010 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
youngatheart1

Rotor removal 2007 jeep liberty

Man you guys are the best. Thanks for all the info.
I just successful replace the rotors and test drove it.
I did find the starwheel on the other rotor plate.
My issue turned out to be that the original starwheel that I couldn't find in the first place is because the starwheel was adjusted so tight by the manufacturer that it hide behind the opening. Doh! I finally find it look under from another angle with a flashlight. I have to look more carefully next time.

Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!!!
youngatheart1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.