Roof Racks with a Sky Slider? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Roof Racks with a Sky Slider?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
zoso7374

Roof Racks with a Sky Slider?

So I am about to buy a 2008 Jeep Liberty . . . all the details are done except for one. Sky Slider or Sunroof. I really like the Sky Slider, but I want to be able to use roof racks for bikes, skis, kayaks. The whole reason I am buying a jeep is to cater to these activities. So does anyone know if roof racks can be added with a sky slider? The dealer and I researched it extensively without an answer, and then we called a local huge 4WD superstore, and the best they could give us was "It can probably be done?"

So has anyone tried this? Anyone have racks on the roof with a skyslider?

Much appreciated.

zoso7374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

no one has tried it yet....but Marty at www.rocklizardfabrications is working on one I do believe, it can be done you might have to custom make one but its doable
jsc7002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
zoso7374

what i don't understand . . .

If I do not try to open the roof while the racks are on . . . why wouldn't the racks work? I have eyed up the skyslider, and it seems like the stock side rails would have enough clearance. And I don't need to open the roof while the racks are on. I am buying this vehicle in less than a week, and this decision is really getting to me. Someone help. The customization route seems like it would be expensive since I can't do it myself.
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

ya that sounds like it would work also, man if you were close I could fab one up for you if you bought the metal
jsc7002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
GottaBeJeep

I have already looked into making a roof rack for the skyslider, but since the folds come up 7" and they are very thick/not flexible at all, a roof rack like mine would not work. Heavy duty replacement rails can most likely be done (little more research left to do before confirming for sure) that you could use to replace the stock plastic mount ones and use aftermarket crossbars, but other than that, options are not out there.
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
zoso7374

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeJeep View Post
I have already looked into making a roof rack for the skyslider,

Are you still trying to do this rack?
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

I bought a utility trailer for $350 when I traded my '02 for my '08. All-around more flexible and give me plenty of room for camping, biking, etc...

And, I can use it with my wrangler, too...
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
pfinell

sky slider roof rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso7374 View Post
So I am about to buy a 2008 Jeep Liberty . . . all the details are done except for one. Sky Slider or Sunroof. I really like the Sky Slider, but I want to be able to use roof racks for bikes, skis, kayaks. The whole reason I am buying a jeep is to cater to these activities. So does anyone know if roof racks can be added with a sky slider? The dealer and I researched it extensively without an answer, and then we called a local huge 4WD superstore, and the best they could give us was "It can probably be done?"

So has anyone tried this? Anyone have racks on the roof with a skyslider?

Much appreciated.
Have same issue wanting to add roof rack on liberty with sky slider. Gotten any further leads on how to solve the problem. thanks, PF
pfinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
pfinell

Anything more on adding a roof rack with sky slider on liberty. PF
thanks
pfinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
88BlueGT

Bump.

Same problem. Still looking.

Any suggestions?????
88BlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
Bump.

Same problem. Still looking.

Any suggestions?????
Can't have both,unless your crossbars on the rack are like 8" or so off the roof,then it will just look really bad.So you'd have to remove any rack to use the skyslider,then re-install rack to transport your items but will not be able to use the skyslider.

Really a simple answer,common sense comes into play.
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
richm20
2006 KJ Liberty 

K would try asking this in the KK forum. You may have better luck.
richm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
88BlueGT

I did not plan on leaving the cross bars on all the time, only when transporting.

Common sense would have told you not to assume
88BlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
OutdoorFrenzy22
2008 KK Liberty 

I chose to buy the 2008 Jeep Liberty without the Skyslider only because I could not find roof racks to fit one but I just stumbled upon a roof rack option that fits the Skyslider.
They sell them at Rocky Road. Here's the link.

http://www.rocky-road.com/liberty_skyslider_rack.html
skyslider_med.jpg  
OutdoorFrenzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.