Roof rack toolbox? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Roof rack toolbox?

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Roof rack toolbox?

Hey i was wondeing if anyone knows of a roof rack toolbox that can be installed on the kj without the loss of the roof racks ability to carry things like a kayak.

What i am looking for is a very shallow tool box to fit in some screw drivers, machete and other tools to get them out of my trunk. I have the renegade model and with the plastic shroud around it, you would be able to see it.

I also have the factory crossbars which ride fairy high off the actual roof line. The box would only be about 2.5-3" deep but would be able to sit flush against the bars.

I know the simple answer is to get a basket, but i wanted to have compartments with the ability to lock it as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
HuglinSupreme
2007 KJ Liberty 

I'd be curious to see something like this as well. Accessibility would suck I think. Constantly reaching up to the box without being able to see what you're grabbing. Better sheathe that machete.
HuglinSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

While I do not have the renny plastic tray up top I do have RL's basket rack and used these tool boxes(the 6" high ones).............

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...storage-boxes/

I too was looking for a shorter box but could not find one anywhere,more so one gaint box that was only 3"-4" high that was at least 32"x32".

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

I too was looking for a shorter box but could not find one anywhere,more so one gaint box that was only 3"-4" high that was at least 32"x32".
Yes, just seems like it would be so simple. Hmm, got to get the wife to agree to parts to try to fab one. We just bought a 2005 jeep wk 5.7l so cash is tight.

Been going outside almost everyday to jump on the roof to brainstorm. If i build it i will take pics and post it.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

How solid do you need it to be? If it's for long-term secure storage you would obviously want something pretty rugged. If it's just to have a convenient place to stash your stuff for a day trip, what about one or two of those under-bed storage containers?

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...10025747&N=175

I've got a couple of those I use at home and if you're picky you can find one that's pretty solidly built. Paint it to match your Jeep and it might at least be enough to tide you over until you've got the dough to upgrade.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Ya i was thinking more long term. I wanted to bolt it up there and leave it. I was thinking of trying to acquire a 1u server case as they are close to the dimensions, usually they are about 28"x18"x3". These are made of steel and aluminum and could be a good base because it has a lock on the doors already. I havento find one cheap cause these can get very expensive fast.
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

That's a good idea with the 1u rack cases. Look for a liquidator selling them used and you might get a deal.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Another thought and would be cheaper and easier would be to mount 2 of these up there.

I might grab one just to see how it fits. I still think its to tall.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.