Rocky Road 2.5" Lift & 265/70/R16 Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rocky Road 2.5" Lift & 265/70/R16 Tires

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
1badxj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rocky Road 2.5" Lift & 265/70/R16 Tires

I will be buying a 2005 CRD in a few weeks and the 1st thing I plan to do as soon as I take title is add the lift and tires. Thing is, I'm wondering if I can use the stock rims or not. If so, will it require a wheel spacer? And what about tire fitment issues? I'm a little new to Libby's, so just thinking out loud here.

New Toy: 2005 Rubihara #111 of 1000
Wife's: 2005 Liberty CRD
2.5"lift, Rock Lizard rock rails, Front True Trac, Rear Powertrax N0-Slip locker, & 31" Duratracs on 15x7 rock crawler rims
Tow Rig: 2003 Silver Reg. Cab Dodge 2500 2wd
5.9 Cummins (lots of mods) dyno proven 550+rwhp
1badxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
RAYMAN975

im not sure if the 265's will fit without a spacer. crawl under the door and look at the front suspension by the brakes, you will see how little room there is between the inside of the tire and the steering knuckle/upper ball joint. a lot of guys run a 245-75-16 with about 2.5-3.5" of lift and are happy, some people need trimming, some people dont. some guys run the 265-75-16 and they look awesome, but are prety big and will definitely have rubbing issues, nothing TERRIBLE, but youll have to do some mods, like behind the front bumper and behind the front tire by that pinch weld sticking out, people usually use a heatgun for the front, and a hammer for the pinch weld.
Unread 04-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
CRD4Liberty

I wouldn't install a standard Rocky Road lift on a CRD, the front springs will be WAY, WAY to light to carry the diesel engines weight. Also not a fan of their rear shocks. All J's has the only designed and assembled CRD lift I know of. Rocky's may have access to the 500 lb new OME front springs for the CRD now also. I'd also for sure not run anything but an OME front strut with that new heavy spring, the best rear shocks are also OME, but are custom ordered, sized and valved for AllJ's Frankenlift.
The Frankenlift comes with everything already assembled so you have no real extra costs if you install yourself. Install isn't technically difficult but takes 4-6 hrs depending on your toolbox/abilities.The others you have to assemble the front strut/springs and may have to buy extra shocks and such at a later date. For sure you want at least a better rear shocks.
Either way you'll need a frontend alignment done ASAP after any lift.
Forgot to mention the 32 inch tires like the 265/75 and 235/85s will keep your back glass from openning unless you space the carrier somehow, Have heard of some taking off the carrier and rotating it to get more clearance, but have no real knowledge of it working on 32 inch tires. The bigger tires are much heavier than the stockers so at a later date the carrier or door may not like the extra weight anyway. Rock Lizard is making a rear bumper, with a swing tire carrier as an extra for this reason.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badxj
I will be buying a 2005 CRD in a few weeks and the 1st thing I plan to do as soon as I take title is add the lift and tires. Thing is, I'm wondering if I can use the stock rims or not. If so, will it require a wheel spacer? And what about tire fitment issues? I'm a little new to Libby's, so just thinking out loud here.
I hope you're not considering the 2.5" Budget lift, if so, it's junk and stay away from it.
If you're talking about the Rock Father II, it has H.D. OME springs with a coil rate of 375 lbs., Your front stock springs have a 400 lb. rate. Bad choice again!

Look to All J's site for their new CRD coil lift.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.