right hand cv replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > right hand cv replacement

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
gerktj

right hand cv replacement

I'm replacing the right handside cv axle on my daughters Liberty. When I pulled out the cv shaft the whole axle wants to come out with it. what's up?? I'm thinking this isn't good!!

gerktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

if youre replacing the CV joints its usually 2-3 foot long when u pull it out, thats cause the end of the shaft connects to the gearing. scared me the first time too lol
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
gerktj

whats suppose to hold in the side gear in the differential? All the directions I see say it will stay in the housing and just the cv shaft should come out.
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

its hard to tell exactly what youre talking about, do you have pictures to show me so i can see whats wrong?
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

The right side CVs connect to the intermediate shaft. More than likely it will need to be replaced as well since they rust together and the splines are either worn badly or rusted up.
Cheapest place for OEM intermediate is ericautoparts@aol.com, 70 bucks plus shipping or call 800-270-5224.
Also NAPA has the best remaned CVs 60-65 for them with trade in of old one.
Forget Autozone and those other places, not good, some are made too short etc.
But anyways if you are doing one do both pieces, CV and intermediate. I've done several so far and no problems later

If you need any help let me know, I'm only 30-45 minutes away from you and like I said have done quite a few of them
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
gerktj

got it. thanks for the help tommudd!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.