reprogram computer on liberty for more power, and which chip to drop in it. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > reprogram computer on liberty for more power, and which chip to drop in it.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

reprogram computer on liberty for more power, and which chip to drop in it.

So I am doing a lot of upgrades to my baby a 2003 Jeep Liberty sport 4x4, a lot, so it is on par and above the renegade everything from sound, to lights, to lift 3", already put aluminum MB off road rims on when my steel ones rusted through. But anyway I will be adding a throttle body spacer, K&N cold air intake, and a JET chip, mean green alternator, tint the windows blue to the legal limit, magnaflow exhaust. And a kick butt sound system that basically comprised of when I am done 6 subs, and 4 amps, and better door and dash speakers. All in all when the sound is done will have 2540 Watts RMS (I plan to compete and I also install audio systems in cars). I'm still fairly new to automotive repairs and upgrades but I am a computer nerd turned gear head. So computers are not an issue. However I heard something that I have to reprogram the computer or whatever to use all this power? Also should I go stage 1 or stage 2, what exactly is the difference between them besides what is required. and where can I get the stuff to make my jeep work with a stage 2, if it is better? This is one of those things I can't consult my Haynes Manual for about. Also was wondering do they make anything other than an electric supercharger for a 2003 liberty, a turbo, or whatever, something to boost my power, more. This is a project that will spread over a period of months a few pieces at a time as I am working on a budget as I am 19 and am in College getting my degree in automotive technology.

jewfromdahood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
teckman02
2002 WJ 

how deep is your wallet? because everything that you are talking about doing is going to cost a lot of $$$.
for ecu re-programing you will want to go http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/
the jet chip is a waste of cash does not do a thing
the mean green alternator wont do you much because the alternator is PCM controlled it's pretty much a waste of $$$
for the turbo or supercharger, You would have to do major work to the motor for a turbo not to destroy the motor. Pistons, bearings connecting rods etc. it'll blow the piston rings off stock pistons

if you want some great info on the KJ hit up http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Performance and http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php
teckman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Let's just say I have spare income at the end of the month to add one or two of the more expensive parts at a time.
Is there anyway I can modify it so the alternator can give all that juice. I need a lot of amps flowing as I will have a drain of 126 amps just between the 3 Kenwood 9105D, 8105D, and 8405 Amplifiers. I am already planning on a bank of 2 or 3 batteries XS AGM batteries 6500 rated for 3900 Amps max at 75 Ah each. I can probably get away with only one of each of those amps rather than the two 9105D that would have made it total to 183 amps on audio draw.
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

modication possible?

Let's just say I have spare income at the end of the month to add one or two of the more expensive parts at a time.
Is there anyway I can modify it so the alternator can give all that juice. I need a lot of amps flowing as I will have a drain of 126 amps just between the 3 Kenwood 9105D, 8105D, and 8405 Amplifiers. I am already planning on a bank of 2 or 3 batteries XS AGM batteries 6500 rated for 3900 Amps max at 75 Ah each. I can probably get away with only one of each of those amps rather than the two 9105D that would have made it total to 183 amps on audio draw.
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

I just looked up and found here a guy contacted a company dcpowerinc about the same thing. and he got this reply
This is the email I received yesterday from DC Power:

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for contacting us regarding an alternator for your Jeep. The PCM works fine with the bigger alternator. The PCM doesn’t control the output of the alternator, it’s the actual regulator in the alternator itself. The Chrysler PCM limiting output is a myth. The 260 will put out 260 amps as designed and won’t mess with the factory PCM.

All of the alternators we build are 100% new, and we only use 100% USA made parts for the highest quality, best performing, and longest lasting alternator you can get. We also back it up with the best customer service you can get along with a one year standard warranty.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
-----------
Thanks,
Kyle Cannon

Direct: (888) 441-0144
Cell: (714) 699-3211

The Biggest and Baddest High Output Alternators on the Planet.
http://www.dcpowerinc.com

Anyone care to challenge their statement?

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45408
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

better news

I have buddies at an audio shop that told me they can do me one better for an alternator. They have a guy for $400-$500 can take my alternator, gut it, and put in internals to get it to run 400 amps. problem solved!
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Giffie
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hi I'm a newby to this need some help swap motors on my liberty 2003 2.8crd to a 2005 2.8 crd but no signal to injectors any sugestions
Giffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfromdahood View Post
So I am doing a lot of upgrades to my baby a 2003 Jeep Liberty sport 4x4, a lot, so it is on par and above the renegade everything from sound, to lights, to lift 3", already put aluminum MB off road rims on when my steel ones rusted through. But anyway I will be adding a throttle body spacer, K&N cold air intake, and a JET chip, mean green alternator, tint the windows blue to the legal limit, magnaflow exhaust. And a kick butt sound system that basically comprised of when I am done 6 subs, and 4 amps, and better door and dash speakers. All in all when the sound is done will have 2540 Watts RMS (I plan to compete and I also install audio systems in cars). I'm still fairly new to automotive repairs and upgrades but I am a computer nerd turned gear head. So computers are not an issue. However I heard something that I have to reprogram the computer or whatever to use all this power? Also should I go stage 1 or stage 2, what exactly is the difference between them besides what is required. and where can I get the stuff to make my jeep work with a stage 2, if it is better? This is one of those things I can't consult my Haynes Manual for about. Also was wondering do they make anything other than an electric supercharger for a 2003 liberty, a turbo, or whatever, something to boost my power, more. This is a project that will spread over a period of months a few pieces at a time as I am working on a budget as I am 19 and am in College getting my degree in automotive technology.
Pictures of the electric supercharger please . If you're going to automotive school pay lots of attention . Damn cought out by the zombie thread . RRRRRRRRRRRR
1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
813kjjeep

I have an 06 and have done a bit of mods to it. I put the K & N cold air in take, a Fastman ported throttle body (during my research what I was told and read was that in the liberty the throttle body spacer does nothing to improve hp) and Borla single in dual out exhaust. And custom fiberglass ram air hood. Sorry forgot the guys shop name who made it. What I did learn is without putting forged pistons and rings in I wouldn't go above 175-200max for fear of throwing the piston out the bottom end. As the rings sit to high on the piston. There was a super charger made for the liberty but for 1yr think it was 03. And that only brought it to 250hp. Never could find out if that was to the wheels or bench test. And as far as I know there is only one trusted shop that has cracked the programing for the liberties. Based in Detroit. Has a few different programs or if you do the mods run it one a dyno and send him the sheets will custom program for you. I never programed mine I know best on the dyno I hit 150 hp to the wheels. But really around my area in Tampa no one was comfortable running it out on the dyno as no one at that time had. I do get good gas milage 17mpg city 20mpg highway. And that is at 80mph. The throttle body does give you hellish response. Bad in the rain as it just breaks loose just touching the gas. To much torque. Was fun to do but will be honest I wouldn't do it again would trick something else out. To expensive as no one makes after market parts for it. As it just doesn't have the appeal the wrangler or cherokee have.
813kjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
chip , computer , performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.